Neurology Expert Forum
Undereye tic

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Undereye tic

In the past week I have developed a painless tic under my right eye.  It is rapid and constant.  I have never experienced this before.  I had a face lift, browlift, and upper and lower bleph in March of this year and am gradually regaining sensation in my scalp, cheeks and chin.  I have popped my jaw for years and realize that I may be doing more of this recently as sensation returns.  I have also recently begun taking a calcium and magnesium supplement (I read somewhere that lack of magnesium may precipitate tics but don't know if this is true.) I am not under any particular stress at this time and I sleep well.  Will this go away on it's own, or should I consult a doctor?   It's distracting since other people notice it and comment.  Thank you!
Intermittent muscles twitches can be caused by stress, sleep deprivation or excessive stimulant use, such as caffeine. It can also occur with electrolyte abnormalities. I would recommend that you first contact your plastic surgeon to ask if this could be a symptom related to the surgery (i am not aware of any). If he/she says it is not, and the symptom persists then consulting with your local primary doctor would be a reasonable starting point. Good luck.
I also had the eye tick for a couple weeks.  I took the calcium/magnesium supplement which didnt work.  The tic went away after I slept more and I was less stressed.  Also I was drinking way too much coffee and drinking a lot of soda, which I cut back on.

Also, another reason why it may happen is allergies.  Since pollen, ragweed, mold, etc affect the central nervous system, your muscles may react to it in different ways.

I am not sure if your tic is related to your surgery, but mine was simply stress, caffeine, and not enough sleep.

Good luck.
On last evening before bed, I noticed a rapid undereye tic under my right eye.  Upon awaking this morning it was gone.  I really didn't think about it again until just a few minutes ago while in the rest room, here at work, it has reoccured.  So upon doing an internet search for info, I came across this board.  Based on the prior posts, I'll give it a few days.  I do suffer with allergies and in the last couple of days, here in Wash DC, I've been having it a little rough.  I've taken double dosages of Allegra D to get the sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes under control.  I've also been working late, exercising late...getting to bed around midnight and waking up at 5 am.  So again, I'll try to improve my work and sleep schedule and return to prescribed dosages of Allegra to see if the tic goes away in a few days.  

Any response is welcomed.

Thanks,
Greg