Neurology Community
Understanding MRI results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Understanding MRI results

Dear Doctor,
My father had a massive stroke on February 19, 2009.  The neurologist said that it was a brainstem stroke mainly due to his right eye paralysis. There were 3 catscans performed, but no MRI done.  He had also dysphagia, left side paralysis, respiratory issues.  After improving (started to regain movement on left side) he was transfered to an acute rehab hospital.  The first day at rehab his breathing issues started worsening and he was transfered to different acute hospital than the first one for evaluation.  He was admitted for aspiration pneumonia and was put on IV antibiotics.  Days later,the doctors also did a bronchoscopy and took out samples to check for bacteria as his fever was returning.  His pneumonia resolved as his chest x-rays were clear.  However the bronchoscopy showed ESBL infection. (This lead to respirator-deep sedation for 4 days, antibiotics for the ESBL in IV for 8 days, and generalized weakness.)  He also had an MRI done on March 16,09, one month after the initial stroke. This is the only MRI done since his initial stroke.    The MRI showed old infarct in pons area + acute infarct in anterior portion of corpus callosum + subacute infarct in the other side of the corpus callosum.  It also showed lesions in the thalamic portion + basil ganglia.  The neurologist resident stated that my dad had a TIA (or stroke) 2 weeks prior to his stroke on February 19,09 (at home-it was never noticed).  My question is:  did my dad have another major stroke while in the second acute hospital?  Does acute infarct on an MRI mean that the infarct happened within 1-7 days prior?  The hospital wants to use my dad to write up in a medical journal as they stated his double stroke was unusual.  But I am not sure what they mean.  Thanks for any input you can provide.