Neurology Community
Undiagnosed Muscle Cramps, twitches, and spasms. Need relief...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 22 year old female. My illness started just under a year ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with a severe "charlie horse" cramp in my right calf. It lasted 15 mins, and returned again for a second time half an hour later. The next morning i had sever bruising where the cramp was from what appeared to be torn muscles. I was fine for a few days, but then began experiencing a shooting pain whenever i stepped on the outer pad of my right foot. This lasted a week, and from then on my symptoms began to expand.

I started feeling a constant twitching in my right calf muscle, like when you're tired and your eye twitches. It was not visible to the naked eye as it was far enough under the skin to not be seen. I began to notice that any strain on the muscle at all would cause it to seize into a charlie horse cramp. I slowly over the next month began to notice this up my entire right side. A yawn would cause my neck to seize up. Bending over would cause my side to seize up. Writing too long would seize my hand up. And even the slightest movement of my foot would send my leg into the most severe of cramps. When my calves cramp up it looks as though there is water boiling under my skin. It bubbles, pops, ripples, and spasms in an utterly painful and disturbing display.

I had bloodwork done which revealed everything was normal and I was sent to a neurologist. My neurologist preformed an EMG and NCS, which came back normal. I was then sent to have a c-spine MRI done. It revealed that my spine was begining to curve in the wrong direction which i'm told is common for people presenting with muscle cramps. I had an MRI done, with and without contrast, revealing nothing. I had an angiogram done which also revealed nothing.

I was sent to physical therapy which only proved to make my condition worse. By this time the sypmtoms had progressed through my entire body, not just my right side. they tried several medications, none of which helped. I also began to notice rapidly decreasing vision, incontinence, abnormal hair growth, difficulty swallowing, inability to concentrate, ringing in my ears, exhaustion, inability to fall asleep, and stiffness in my joints.

I saw a neuro-muscular specialist at a large presitigous medical college who suggested i inject botox into my legs to stop them from cramping. I have seen so many neurologists now that i'm beginning to feel its hopeless. This illness has comepletely taken over my life and I am so tired from fighting it 24/7. It affects every decision i make and follows me everywhere relentlessly. I am currently on a trial of baclophen which seems to be making things worse, as did most the muscle relaxants i was put on. My new neurologist told me that my best bet is to simply try medications untill i find one that treats the symptoms well enough to make it from one day to the next. This was the most devistating blow yet. I cannot accept that i may suffer from this for the next 60 years of my life with no answers. It cant be normal for a 22 year old to pray to god every night that they find something in her blood work or MRIs... so that the mystery can be solved.

Please, if you have any notion as to what may be causing these ailments, or if there is another doctor i should be seeing, please let me know. I am so despirate for answers.

-Adriane
You NEED your calcium and vitamin D levels checked!!!  Most people don't realize that hypocalcemia can cause all of the problems you just described, my husband suffered from it.  Your body may not be able to absorb it properly and you NEED to have this checked out if they haven't already!  A lack of calcium can be very serious to your nervous system!
abnormal hair growth could be a sign of cushings syndrome... sorry didn't read that part first... Go see an endocrinologist... too many glucocorticoids can cause your body to be unable to absorb the calcium (look it up)  it could all tie in together.... endocrinology would look at your calcium levels as well... That is your best bet!
Thanks so much! I dont know if they have checked my calcium levels or not. After so many blood tests i've lost track of what they are even checking for anymore. My nuerologist and I had discussed an endocrinologist as a next resort as i was feeling my hormone levels might be off anyways, so perhaps this is more of a logical step then I had imagined. I'll definatly call for the referral and pursue this option! Thanks so much for taking the time to help out!
many years back in the 70s i was about your age an dthe same thing happened to me.  I went through many doctors and a battery of tests and nothing wrong was found with me.  Since the doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me they told me it was something mental, but i knew it wasn't.  To make a long story short after suffering with three months without being able to go anywhere i started making phone calls and found that a friend of a friend's husband was a Dr. and that he had healed in two or three visits a girl that suffered from facial paralisys for many years.  I said that i wanted to see that doctor and they told me he was a different kind, a specialty that i had never heard of.  Exspecially since i was born in Chile.  The next day a friend came from Manhattan in New York and took me over to this Dr. he took x-rays of my back and my spine was shaped like an S, so he treated me on an articulated table where he stretched my body and made every bone crack, the next day i was a new man, but i was afraid to walk because of the many cramps that i was suffering which made me look like a monster even my face, neck, eyes, everywhere i had a muscle there was a cramp.  But anyway the feeling was so great that i walk 5 miles and i didn't want to stop because i felt so great.  it was like a miracle.  This doctor was a chiropractor, the best i've ever seen.  When you mentioned that your back was crooked it rang a bell for when this happened to me i went from a really hot environment to a freezer and out to the street that was very windy and then into a hot place again, which causes a big muscle spasm which pulls my spinal cord in different directions.  So i think you should give a chiropractor a try, find one that is honest and doesn't want to keep you going there forever or that makes you sign any contracts as i have known some that are not very ethical and they are giving this profession a bad name.  I would also suggest for you to stay away from ALL carbonated drinks for day nutralize the acidity your system needs to absornb calcium, and i also (which works for me) try colloidal minerals.  If you see a chiropractor look for one that uses the gontead tehnique and i reccomend this because you have gone through other dr. and i think this may work for you. GOOD LUCK!
     -Maury51
Google hyperPARAthyroidism (don't confuse with thyroid). It goes along with what first responder said. If you've had even the most basic bloodwork you've had calcium checked. Even if it's normal, you need to have them check your parathyroid levels. This gland regulates the calcium in the body. Other thought that came to mind was a metabolic myopathy, but your symptoms are totally consisent with that either. Your MRI will be normal with a metabolic myopathy. Probably will see something with EMG, but that's not always the case. Should show on muscle biopsy, but again not always the case. What about your creatinine levels? Any problems there?

It's possible you won't ever find and answer but the best thing is to never give up hope. Keep going to differnet doctors til you find one who helps. As you will learn, not all docs are the same. Even the good ones don't get it right all the time. This is especially tre when dealing with neuroligists. There is just so much unknown about the central nevous system and diseases like MS can cause the body to do just about anything. The best thing to do is keep talking to different docs. Hope this helps!
I understand your pain my dear. I am currently in the same position.  I just went to the Mayo Clinic the best hospital in the Country so I have been told...They came up with nothing.  They put me on medication for Fibromyalgia which helps a bit.  I have such a sharp pain in my neck that is there 24 seven.  I have difficultly sleeping and I am unable to work.  It has affected my eye site, shoulder's, tail bone and other joints in my body.  I did see a chiropractor but, in my opinion I felt worse.  Maybe the gentlemen who saw a chiropractor in New York was different and if he is please forward details.....I had MRI's, CT no MS.  My thryroid is underactive and I am going to be persistant with that.  My doctor thinks I am mental and making these things up.  He is not a pill pusher which is good but, if I have a thryroid conditon it needs to be addressed. I am trying aqua water with a Physiotherapist.  We will see how that goes.  Try looking up dystonia...This illness unvoluntary contracts muscles in involuntary movements.  I was check for this as well and believe I have some form of it but it is really hard to diagnose.  It has to do with your basal gaglion.  My CT scan reports that I do have some calification in that area however, the doctor said I don't have it.  I am going to see another Neurologist in June located in Detroit.....I am taking vitamin D and Calcium as well....I think oh my gosh am I going to live like this for the rest of my life.  Each day is a struggle and I am sick to death of my family and friend's saying you need to exercise you need to do this and that but, they are not the person who is inside of my body........Oh ya, then they said I might have had a mini stroke.  I have had my horomone levels checked??????? Marcelina Graves diease, ALS, Lou graex diease and a movement Neurologists.  Someday's I feel like my head is going to fall off.  However, MRI reports no MS.  If you find the answer's or a doctor that helps please report back.  I will do the same.  First, ask your doctor to try medication for Fibromyalgia.  It has helped with the aches in my muscles and the nerves in my body.            
lyme disease????
Well , my wife actually started having this "EXACT" same problem queenlian a couple of months ago , also started with very strong cramp in her calf. We went to some doctors . and they put jer on cyclobezapar or something , we went to a nerologist , and put her on bactoban or something , which seemed to make it worst , so we decided to stop it (she only took it once) , and kept the previous med. I became very scared when I saw this progress , from one leg to the next , then to her face , and to now , we dont know whats wrong with her , but I can tell you what I believed has helped some.
I after we went to the doctor , somewhere online I read diff vitamin deficiencies can couse similar problems , I read a post of a woman with similar problems that used Vitamin B1 and it helped (will look for link on post later)
so I took my lady to the store , and bought her a bunch of SmartWaters (for electrolites), bannanas (for potassium) , Pinaple (for magnesium) , avoavatos (they are just very healthy) , and a one a day women's multivitamin. So every day , she started drinking a smart water , eating a bananna , a slice or 2 of pinaple , invluding avoacate in her meals , and drinking her multivitamin. We also threw away any diet and sugar free stuff we have (look into the symptoms of aspartame poisoning if you intake that and you will be shocked).
And , since she has been doing all that , she has gotten better. She is not 100% , but , she hasnt had any cramps since , her trembeling has almost completely stopped , a little here and there , she was able to continue going to school , and is living a more or less normal life. We still keep the cyclobenzapar in case she ever needs it , but very rarely uses it. I also notice she sometimmes gets bad if she doesnt sleep enough , or if she is under a lit of stress , or diff situations sometimm*es trigger it , but she is doing much much better after we included those foods and multivitamin. Some days ago , I bought her a bottle of Vitamin B Complex , it has all the Vitamin B's which are essential to the brain/neuro muscle functions.

Now I'm not saying this will cure you , but I would sujest at least trying it , it has certainly helped my wife a lot , as her twitching was almost constant , and her tendancy to want to spam as well ( We controlled this by rubbing theragesic ointment on her calf when she felt her muscle starting to contract , or when she felt she might have a spasm , this itself has helped control the number of spasms she's had by stopping them before they started) , and now it's very little , usually only when she over does it (sleeping only 5 hours or overworking her body).

So , I hope this is helpful to somebody , as most of the stuff you read on the internet is horrifying , so , even though we havnt founnd out what she has , or a cure , we seem to have found something that up to know seems to help, and I hope it can help somebody else.
If anyone tries this out do post if it helps you out at all.

Let me add , I forgot , we also bought some Pomegranate juice (I hear it's very good) , and some Green Tea Decafinated( must be decaf , as cafeine could start the twitching) and not hte lipton drink , the tea bags.

Also , she stopped drinking coke because of the caffeine.

Hope this helps somebody , pls comment back if anyone tries this, I will find the post by the other lady taking the Vitamin B1 , where she says how it's helped her a lot, but I would sujjest everything I posted , since it could be many different things causing the problem , an array of nutrients might be the best way to start treating it.
I also want to add , Lyme disease seems like a candidate as well , I need to have my lady checked out for that , as it ;s symptoms sounds similar.
Thank you all for your replys.

Since the time of my original post things have not gotten any better with my muscles. However, some light was shed on the situation. As my hormones grew even more crazy I finnally sought out an endocrinologist thinking that it all was related. He did two boughts of testing on me. One to test for PCOS which would explain everything BUT the muscle cramps. The second test was to test for Cushings Syndrome, which would have explained ALL my symptoms.

Unfortunately it wasn't Cushings, it was just PCOS. The strange weight gain, hair growth, irregular periods, incontinence, and several other smaller issues are all in relation to that. The PCOS didn't start untill Winter of 2007-2008 so we know the muscle problem isn't related. Its good to have some of my symptoms handled though so that I can no focus on just the muscular issues alone.

I have stopped seeing my neurologist. He was continuing to try medication after medication with no releif and I was starting to feel like a walking pharmacy. I was paying 50 dollar copays for him to talk to me for 5 mins, write me a prescription, and send me out the door. All of which he could have done over the phone.

Since the last time I posted I have been having increasing difficulties with any activity leaving me basically useless for days. If i'm on my feet and walking too much my legs get really bad by the end of the day and then theres a corresponding issue with my hip. It feels like theirs sandpaper in my hip joint. But only on days when the muscles are bad as well so I know its related. I've started using a cane more days than not to help prevent spills. I had my legs lock up really bad one day in walmart while grocery shopping, and totally collapsed in the isle breaking a glass jar that was in my hand. It was embarrassing so I bought a cane that day so I'd have some support when things were bad like that.

I am going to give the specialized diet you mentioned a try and see if I can gain any releif from that. If I could just get it manageable that would be nice. I havn't been able to find work that is willing to work around my problem. My doctor wont give me a note because i'm un-diagnosed. *sigh*. I'm beggining to really dislike doctors in general. At least my endocrinologist is semi competant!

Again, thank you all for the support and help. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Another thing I would sujest queenlian is , when your legs are really tired or hurting , is to rub either some theragesic ,or some icy hot gel on your legs , this really makes my wife feel much better. Usually , her legs start to feel bad at night , specially if she has been moving too much during the day , when this happens I usually rub some icy hot gel or theragesic on her legs , and she goes to bed , the next day she wakes up feeling much better. You can try one or the other , see which you like best , they are different but both seem to help a lot , though the icy hot gel is much less messier to apply. I hope we figure out what this is , and that this does not turn out to be a progressive dissorder, since thats what scares me the most , but for now we are just trying to live with it and hope for the best. Good luck queelian.
Ask you Dr. for a test called Mycoplasma. My son is going through alot of what you are. This is a bacteria infection that is onle caught by a test for this. Everything else comes up normal. Onle certain antibiotics help.
Worth a look.

Good Luck
Here is another one that could be ,

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/

There are so many diseases out there that have this exact same symptoms it's hard to tell which is the one. And from what I've read , doctors have a hard time finding which problem it is as well , because of the nature of the disease.
Hi I told about Mycoplasma. Since then they are also looking at Lyme's disease.
Hop these ideas can maybe help.
LYMEDISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HAD ALL OF YOUR SYMPTOMS YOU NEED ANTIBIOTICS!!!!!! FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.
www.lymenet.org
Hello queenlian , just wondering how things are going for you ? Did the diet do anything for you ? I also wanted to add , that we've basically settled on Icy-Hot gel for when she does get a cramp , it stops them almost instantly. Though , the cramps (1 or 2) she's had since the incident , seem like normal cramps anyone can get at night , not the strong one she got that time. I dont really know what was happening , but it looks like controlling the cramps , diet change , resting , and good sleep really have helped my wife a lot. I would suggest the diet , as well as trying to control the cramps with Icy-Hot by applying it when you feel you are going to get a cramp , and resting , not over doing your legs. Maybe something like a muscle relaxant pill as well , not nothing powerful like baclofen or anything , my wife was given Flexeril by the general doctor which saw her the first time , and thats what we used while she was having the cramps and twitching. She has since stopped taking it completely , but during that time it was helpful , I would advice to go to your general doctor and ask him about it , since it's not as strong a medicine yet it seemed to help her with the twitching. I would advice trying all this things , and very importantly , resting , and good sleep , letting your brain , body , and muscles relax , recuperate , and heal. I'm not exactly sure what my wife or you could have , but I know what we have been doing has been working , and I'm hoping it can work for you as well.

Even though I don't know what caused this problem with my wife , let me tell you the change she had in her life before it happened , see if maybe you were going through a similar situation or if something seems similar. About one or two months before my wife had that massive cramp , which led to more cramps and constant twitching , my wife had started medical school. And she was VERY VERY stressed out all the time. She would wake up early , go to school , come home , eat something quick , and go to study till around 11 or 12 at night , and go to bed. Wake up and do the same thing again. She also told me she had been taking to stairs in school every day , while carring all her books which weighed about 50 lbs. She also would skip breakfast most of the time , to make it to school in time. I am not sure which of this if not all could have contributed , but after around 2 months into school , she woke up at night to that horrible cramp , which basically crippled her for the rest of her semester. When she started getting much better was after summer vacation , when we focused on her resting ,forgetting about school or anything stressful , eating well , and getting good sleep at night. And in this couple of months , she has changed dramatically , she hasnt had any more twitching or cramps , she is very active , doing house work , playing with our little girl , taking walks , and even exercising , and she has stopped taking any medications. I'm very happy to see my wife moving around again , feeling good again and being happy.

I'm really hoping that my posts can help you out queenlian , the description of what happened to you , and how it started , is identical to what happened to my wife , she is doing much better with what we have been trying , and I'm sharing in hopes that this information can help you get better yourself. Let me know how your doing (hopefully better) , if I find out anything else I will post here. And be careful with the doctors , I'm glad you stopped the neuro , after 1 visit we decided not to go back , he gave my wife medicine which made her feel sedated , and made her arm start twitching (which it had never before) .  Oh yeah , and a daily multivitamin like one a day , I would also recomend , specially one with 100% of Thiamin (vitamin B1).

Well , good luck queenlian , I hope to hear from you soon , take care.
Its been a year and a half now since the onset of my illness. There are days when giving up is so tempting. I have tried so many muscle relaxants from my neuro and none of them helped. I have tried taking daily vitamins with full vitamin d and b1 and the works. I tried the diet. We tried physical therapy, Rest and Relaxation... the works. I am sad to report that nothing has seemed to help.

When the problems first came on I do admit my schedule sounded alot like you're wifes... Get up at 6am, spend 1.5 hrs in traffic dropping off husband and getting to the office, fast food breakfast and lunch while working an extremely stressfull fast paced job, 1.5 hrs in traffic getting home, fast food for dinner most nights, work from home till late and then sleep and start over 6 hours later. It was pretty intense. About 8 months into my illness though, my husband and I moved to Montana (we were in D.C. before), in hopes that being closer to my family, in fresh air and a more slow paced life, might bring about some change and some much needed relief.

Sadly, it didn't. For a full year now we've been here in Montana. I stayed home and relaxed... no working. Just me at home doing the things I love to do. I baked and sewed and played alot of video games. But there has been no improvement. I have a cane to walk with for the really bad days... days like the day I collapsed in walmart while grocery shopping, or like the day I ran a red light and nearly caused a 3 car pile up when my right leg seized up on the gas pedal.

I guess some of it has been a blessing in disguise. They found out that I have PCOS over the course of trying to find the cause of my muscle problems. So i'm on treatment now to get my insulin levels back down to normal. They think they caught it early enough that I wont have too much trouble getting pregnant when i'm ready... If it weren't for the muscle issues I'd never have taken note of the other strange things that led to that diagnosis.... so thats good I guess.

I think most days its just hard to come to terms with my limitations. I want to be able to hike in the mountains with my husband. I want to have a child without worrying what pregnancy will do to my already weak body. It would be nice to be able to excercise to lose some weight... its so hard to do without full use of my legs. I think my next attempt at finding relief will be to find a gym that has a pool and take water aerobics courses aimed at increasing mobility. I'll let you know if that helps.

Thank you again for all your support and help. It helps just to know that I'm not alone in this battle. I'm glad your wife at least has found relief. Take Care.

Best,
Adriane
I made an appointment with my family docter tomorrow.I have been having severe muscle spasms and cramping in both feet and legs 3 and 4 times a night.Unable to place my feet on the floor to try to relieve the pain because of the contractured shape the spasm cause. I get these spasms when I sit in my desk chair or Lazyboy for two long of a time. Had some cramping in my foot while driving the other day. Today I went to get out of the neighbor's pool and had a very difficult time climbing the 3 step ladder. Two of the ladies had to help me and I almost fell.The pain and cramping was so bad I couldn't set my foot down.
The pain is sometimes are up the sides of my legs, in my thighs, calves or groin. I also get the contractures in my hands when I set my hair. My neck spasms when I yawn. This has been getting progressively more severe the pass two months.

I am 77 and in fairly good health otherwise. I bowl 2xweek and go to "Curves" 3 to 4xweek.  I play in my flower garden a little. Hire my housework done. Otherwise pace myself and enjoy life. Have no real responsibilities, but this is more that I can cope with without some relief. We all get a certain amount of the spasms thru our lives when we exert our muscles differently on somedays, but this has to be more than normal.

My last blood labs were normal. Had doppler test of legs in May. Lower back X-rays showed some scolosis. Eat a lot of fruit and drink a quart of skim milk with sugar free chocolate milk daily.  Maybe the Aspartane in the sugar free choc?? Will try cutting that out of my diet.

Any other suggestions than what I have read in the above info.?

Your situation seems very similar to what i'm going through. That is how mine stated.

Lately Its been causing so much pain in my hips and knees as well that i'm on a cane 24/7. Its embarrassing at my age. I work in a nursing home and always feel as though the elderly there with broken hips in wheel chairs must be looking at me and rolling their eyes....

The more I notice the syptoms (symptoms) getting worse in the heat the more I'm drawn to beleive that it truly is Multiple Sclerosis and that the earlier test was just too early. When I read the symptoms lists for MS is just fits all too well for what i'm going through.

I've decided to go back to my doctor and request that he put me through another rigorous strain of tests and labs to determine if it is in fact MS I have. If it is its better to find out sooner than later.

I dunno.... maybe i'm just so despirate for answers that i'm blinded to other options. Who knows. Its just been a long two years.

I used to have symptoms of Fibromyalgia, Epstien Barr and Chronic Fatigue???? or what ever it was. Only took NSAID's prn and predisone if too severe.I have been doing fairly well with thoes symptoms since I retired and have a more relaxed life.Don't take meds unless it is intolerable. Do have a blood pressure problem and borderline diabetic. Wt 160#. 5' 7' in HT. but apple shaped thru abdomen. I understand this can be a syndrome that needs attention. Not sure what PCOS stands for?

Anyway I got a lot of information from this web site to toss to my doctor today

Thank You
Rosemary75
PCOS stands for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. Its a pre-diabetic state that causes abnormal levels of testosterone in a womens body. The entire imbalance leads to a large amount of cysts in the ovaries. Its the leading cause of infertility in the US.

My PCOS didn't come about untill well after the muscle problems though, so they are most likely un-related.

As far as medication goes, I have tried many but gave up on them. The only one that helped was Tizanadine (a drug used to treat muscle probles with MS). It leveled me out. I didn't have anymore bad days, but i didn't have good ones either. It was just more of a steady mild state. I am considering going back on it untill they get things sorted, because I cannot afford to continue having bad days. The only reason I stopped taking it was b ecause of the side effects. It causes ALOT of drowsiness and also constipation... not fun.

-Adriane
The Dr.(Aug. 21) put me on Ca supplement. Had blood work done. Told me to increase fluid intake and eat more fruit. Guess he has to start somewhere. To call him in 2 weeks with results.
Cramping hasn't slowed yet( Aug 25)

Talked to a man today. Same symptoms. On a lot of cholesterol lowering drugs, Dr just put him on Neuroton. Wife an RN and doesn't want him to take it. Too many side effects.

Rosemary
Queenlian , I sent you a PM , I was trying to post it here but for some reason it won't let me , keeps giving me "Message exceeded the 8000 character limit" .
if you havent found the cause yet ... or even if you have I would still get tested for celiacs disorder (might be spelled wrong sorry im dislexic) its basicly a wheat alergy (allergy) but it can cause so many health problems you wouldnt believe it.  I use to have the following problems

cramps ... not small ones ones that would start off in random parts of my legs and then spread untill my hole lower body and part of my lower back were ridged.  I still get cramps but they normaly stay localized to the area they started in.

headaches, migrains, cluster headaches ... compleatly gone exept the rare headache.

lack of energy,  omg you wouldnt believe the difference ... one of the reasons celiacs can be so harsh is that it destroys your ability to take in the things it needs to stay healthy resulting in a perminant feeling of being run down.

cysts,  havent had any lately

general joint and mussle pain ... still not gone but it is way better than it was.

eritable bowel,  I didnt have this one but my mother did and it went away within 2 weeks of not eating wheat.

mussle twitches,  agian they havent gone away but they use to keep me up for 3 -4 days at a time now its 2 - 3 hours at the most.

and this is just my list ... you should look up the disorder ... its crazy what it has been known to do to people

take care,
I am a coeliac and am on a gluten free diet..
if I eat gluten/wheat it stops my body from taking  nutrients, however.. I am on a gluten free diet and I take calcium tablets everday and I have been suffering with sevear cramps for the past 6 months...

Never had them before and now I get them all the time.  if I so much as point my toes my toes would get sevear cramps!! I wake up with cramps in my legs but its the toes ones that I cant handle.. they last for so long and the only thing that helps is heat
So much so that when I was in Sainsbury's the other day the toe cramps started and I ended up putting a hot chicken on my foot in the car just so i could drive home!!! how rediculous is that! but it helped!

I also get strange feelings in my veins from my hands to just beyond my wrists and my fingers go fuzzy sometimes to.
lately i have also had my left eye feel weird and it keeps twitching!
Basically I feel like im falling apart and im only 42.
I have been to the docs but they said the blood test came back fine and i am already on calcium.

So what next ? coz i cant live like this its depressing.
I have had leg cramps as a kid and now that I am 34 for the past 3-4 years they are VERY bad. I am on Gluten free diet as well so even if I do have celiac that isn't the cause. I don't eat processed food either or if I do it is 2 times a week like a packaged organic soup. Rest is raw veggies, greek yogurts, eggs, etc. I suffer from very sore muscles that spasms a lot and sometimes even roll around my legs during the day. I have no vitamin or mineral deficiencies, been test for MS, Cushings, PCOS, Adisons (sp) disease, Doppler done to my legs, no blood work is off basically and muscle loss blood work show I am not losing any as well. I went to a chiro for 2 years almost for small curve in my lower back but nerve tests show it doesn't effect my legs.  There is no answer and every neuro or doctor just ends up saying I have symptoms of Fybromialga and that's it, suffer from sore legs. Well this answer is not good enough for me. I stretch daily, very active and drink fluids.

I am not looking into getting BOTOX injections since I have read it releases muscles in stroke patients and other muscle spasms people have. Since my leg muscles never release basically maybe I can have this done. I am waiting to hear back from a doctor I found in Atlanta that specializes in just this since my doctor might not use BOTOX and actually starting to doubt they do much at all...
typo there but not sure how to edit

I am NOW looking into Botox I wrote not by accident.
this is the 1st time i come on this site for the same reasons u all have done so. I've read all ur comments and have touched me deeply. I noticed that it has been 2 yrs since u have wrote about ur medical symptoms but i'm intrigued to learn of ur outcomes . Is it possible that u may write and let me know what has happened since and/ or has anything been resolved. If ur unable to log on because ur user name has exceeded the amount of letters or words allowed by this site, use another user name but do let me know it is u. I hope u did not stop writing because u have lost all hope . And for u Sergio was ur wife ever able to return to med school. How is she doing, what's going on wit her. Sincerely, Annette
One of the most common & overlooked causes of muscle cramping is vitamin D deficiency.  If you have cramps & haven't had a lab test for your serum vit. D level, by all means ask your doctor for it.  If low, you'll need to take either a) commercially available supplements, b) if your doctor writes you a prescription, a special dose you only have to take once a week, or c) drink 3 tall glasses of nonfat milk per day.  It will take about 2 weeks on this therapy to make the cramps go totally away.  After you get your level up to normal, try to spend 15 minutes in the sun without sunscreen 3 times a week on your arms & legs (wearing shorts) from March thru October & you'll never have low vitamin D again.  I used to have these severe cramps & my doctor finally stumbled onto it.  Now I'm a free man.
I have been suffering from cramps from fingers to toes for over 14 years.  I was diagnosed bipolar a couple months ago and put on generic lemictal.  When I started taking it, with a day or two I realized that my cramps had STOPPED.  I do not have any idea why.  I have just been taken off of it as the side effects have been severely affecting my ability to do my job, and I am waiting to see if the cramps come back.  I was researching also and from what I can tell, people with bipolar frequently have comorbid epilepsy and I am wondering if I am not having localized seizures.  Muscle cramping caused from misfiring or over firing or something like that is what causes an epileptic "fit" and you can have "localized" ones that would only affect one muscle group.  Since lemictal is an anti-seizure drug this is making sense if in only a layperson's manner.  I will post back if I find out anything helpful.
how much D do you take daily?
I also have fibromyalgia. I went from dr to dr and test to test and nothing. I an on cymbalta and it does help alot with muscle spasms and the floaty feeling in my head and vision my sholders still hurt alot and hips and low back and knees but it helps to survive I could take other meds but I dont want to be doped up it is very frustrating. I was disgnosed by a reumotoligist. hope it helps and yes people dont understand what you go through it is very differcult but stay stong
You should take between 5,000 iu and 8,000 iu vitamin D3 daily.  5,000 iu is only a maintenance dose, so it will not make your D levels go up at all.  You will find this information on Mercola's site and on the Vitamin D Council's website.

Three glasses of milk everyday will NOT give you enough vitamin D or the right kind.  Plus, many people can't drink milk, including people with IBS/GERD.  Many with fibromyalgia have one or both of these conditions.  The amount of vitamin D2 in fortified milk is pitifully small.  The "new" FDA's RDA was based ONLY on bone health and NOT on over all immune function or on optimal health.  You need to be taking vitamin D3.  And, you need to take magnesium with your vitamin D supplements, even when you are taking the prescription form of vitamin D, which is also vitamin D2.

I agree that others in the personal life of someone with fibromyalgia do not understand.  Only someone else with fibromyalgia can understand.  Yet, some are worse off than others, so someone with milder symptoms will still not really truly understand.
TO all on forum...
I stopped taking the lemictal as it did bad things to me.  The cramps came back almost immediately.  I've since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and put on neurotin.  This didn't help.  I went to store and got a compound with Potassium Gluconate 595 mg it is sold for "nerve health".  Finest Natural is the brand which I think is the Walgreen brand.  I have also been taking 6000IU D3 vitamin and my cramps have significantly reduced with these two things!
You need to get a Western Blot through iGenX lab to test for Lyme Disease.  It is a hidden epidemic & you have every symptom.
I'm an RN (Registered Nurse) that also has MS. And I'm here to tell you, it sounds like MS. It also sounds like you may have to find a good doctor that will actually Listen to you.

Also, you can have MS without the lesions showing up on a scan on your brain or spine. Do not agree with your physician just because he/she says you don't know what you're talking about. This is Your Body and Your Health. Being as such, only you know when there is something wrong with you.
Good luck and God Bless.
Hello love, my name is catrina ,I'm 32 year-old and I've had the same happening to me since I was 24 after I had my son . So for 8 years I have been living with the same thing you are describing . For the 1st 5 years doctor's keep taking tests and find nothing,they thought I was lying but just giving me pain meds to get me through the day ,I moved states and brought my empty med bottles to my new doctor and she got these big eyes and said why do you take these . I honestly told her I didn't know but I'm in pain in my back all the time and get major flare ups that migrate to different parts of my body ,my leg cramps for months move to my neck and shoulder then my toes and so on , doctor took all same tests as all the others and everything negative results finally got a MRI done and she tells me "I'm so sorry,this is something you're going to have to live with for the rest of your life " she said that I had degenerate disc disease where the discs in my spine are deteriorating so the vertebrae are almost bone on bone and you're spine is connected to all you're nerves causing pain constantly inflammation cramps muscle spasms not able to move when inflamed every body part hurts ,the chiropractor just makes it worse everything pops ,can't stand or sit to long I feel bruised all over I take muscle relaxant pain meds to get me throughout the day ... I do yoga ,that seems to help a little and nobody took right test cause they all thought I was to young ,once I had inflammation in my wrists and ankles at the same Time n had to crawl on my elbows n knees to get to the bathroom ... so all my symptoms sound just like yours,the doctor wants me to do surgery and everyone that I know that has done this tells me they still hurt n still have to take meds also she suggested cortisone shots in my back every 3 months but I would still have to take pain meds and if the doctor that does the shot mess up at all they can paralyze me permanently,so I just live with the pain and cramps n everything making sure I have my meds and every so often when it becomes really inflamed I have to call in to work like today.I have also asthma,alleges and a few other conditions that just add to my misery but at least I know what's going on now even though I have to live with this forever..I hope this helps!!! Forever feeling you're pain ,catrina
I know these posts are many years old but if anyone is reading this, please give me an update. I have been going through the same problems with the muscle twitching and spasms which occur all of the time. Sugar definitely increases this problem but its not always the cause as I have checked my sugar during these attacts and almost always my sugar is normal. I CAN tell you how to stop them instantly which will make you all cringe but it works for all people who have tried it......here goes....Salt. I do not suffer from high blood pressure and to back up this issue, I went to a Natural Practitioner who told me within five minutes that I suffered from low sodium. She recommended 3 tsps of sea salt per day and yukkkk, I can't get that much in me. Ergo the salt shaker near me all the time which I shake onto my hand a lick it off...then I take a drink of something..Anybody who has had those spasms, would agree...they would swallow anything to stop the pain so fast....I almost throw up from pain. Spasms in my toes or fingers don't even faze me next to the pain i feel when my inner thighs, entire fibula area start. Recently I began getting the same problem as queenlian posted above. If I turn or even slightly twist, I get a terrible spasm and I am getting a breathtaking spasm type pain in my upper abdomen which goes through to my mid back. I have hypothyroidism (med dose was increased a couple mons ago and I'm due for repeat labs) Was clinically borderline low on sodium which made me feel confident with the holistic practitioner and I had vita d deficiency twice but ok now) My father was diagnosed with ALS but went on to live until in his 80s so I'm just not sure. He claims the process was slowed by his daily "potion" of herbs and vitamins which he drank every single day including while on vacation. Eventually he was coughing and choking a lot and in a wheelchair but wish I knew. Always wondering about that. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis by U of M, Henry Ford Hospital docs and three family docs....all felt it wasn't real aggressive in my case but it completely disappeared in approx 9 yrs....only took Naprosyn. Nobody knows why but it did. Those thought are in my head on my bad days .....wish I knew what to do. Living in pain. Angellgirl3
For myself, all these issues were caused by eating grains. Weakness, pain, cramps, muscle wasting, skin rashes, twitching, dizziness, balance, sinus problems, low energy, depression, bowel issues....the list goes on and on. Eliminate ALL GRAINS from your diet for 4 weeks, drink enough water and take a pro biotic to get you gut working properly again.
This is not easy at first, no corn, rice, wheat, oats, barley, soy.......there is plenty of info out there once you get past the whole "grains are good for you" mentality.
Within a few days, I began healing and feel better then I have in 25yrs.
Our model of fast, cheap and preserved food is poison, you should also eliminate all oils except for virgin cold pressed olive and coconut oils and soak any beans or nuts you eat.  
Good Luck!
Hi Queenlian,

About two years ago I started having the exact same issues with my legs. Woke up one night while on vacation with a "charley horse" cramp in my calf. I've never been the same since. Constant twitching in my muscles, not visible to the eye. Not being able to hardly walk come evening, scared to sleep for fear of waking up with another "charley horse." I've had every blood test known to man done, MRI's of my spine and brain, everything normal. Doctor after doctor, medication after medication, ER visit after ER visit, and nothing. My neurologist has me on Gabapentin and Baclofen, which I have found relief from...they are the only medications that get me through the day. I too, found myself on the floor of stores not being able to move from a full body seize up, scared to drive because I am scared to cause an accident, scared to do anything. It has taken over my entire life. People say I just need to exercise, that only makes it worse. At around the same time the muscle cramps started, my bladder was having issues too. They diagnosed me with IC (Interstitial Cystitis) but I feel like I was wrongly diagnosed. My grandpa has MS and I know that MS usually tends to skip a generation so I figured it was that. They ruled that out after all of my neurological tests came back normal. The doctors thought it was all in my head too, and when they told me I may live with this for the rest of my life, it was the most horrifying day of my life. I balled my eyes out for hours. I too, am beginning to hate doctors. I am 24 (22 when this started) and I live a life of a 90 year old because I cannot move around. My grandpa who has MS, was diagnosed at my age, with the exact same symptoms, we are on the exact same medications, except mine are STRONGER. Some days I feel like maybe I do have MS and it was just too pre mature to detect through MRI's etc...as stupid as it sounds, some days I wish they would find that I have MS so I can at least have a diagnosis. I quit following up with doctors because it was becoming so overwhelming getting normal results over and over again when I knew something just wasn't right. Please, if you get any leads or any diagnosis, let me know. I am also glad to know that  I am not alone with this in the world, although I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you get any updates, please email me personally at  ***@****

i have the same thing. the doctors have done an MRI and 2 EMG's and blood tests. all come back with nothing abnormal. "the good news is we found nothing wrong, the bad news we still don't know why you are having these nerve and muscle cramp issues." that news is just blaaa. flat. i don't know what to call it. it basically tells me that i am going to be on muscle relaxers forever and one day i think i'll have so many cramps at one time i wont be able to speak (my throat cramped up like yours...it was scary!!!!) i've tried more potassium, more magnesium, more calcium.... nothing works. braggs vinegar, leg cramp pills my dad bought for me from a health store, liquid supplements..... nothing ever helps. it's getting worse. when i put on my socks my left upper ab cramps up. my feet cramps, calf cramps, side calves, a toe moved on its own and went sideways. i have been getting cramps on my under belly and it feels like with that cramp my body wants to close in half like a clam shell. i think it has something to do with my blood not delivering the nutrients and oxygen to my muscles. but i don't know how to fix it. i have recently started taking Laminine. it's only been a few days so i am not sure. but check them out. i just wanted to reach out and just tell you i have the same issues and if it makes you feel crazy, nutty, and heart ache because you can't find a curse AND it ***** having these interruptions all the time! we just want to live but not with this electrical nerve storm going on in out body wondering when these nerve twitches will turn into a pulling of the muscles otherwise known as a cramp. Oh, i hate having to JUMP out of bed in the middle of the night to stretch out the cramps when all i want to do is SLEEP. Errrrr, right!? Good luck my friend. Shell from so cal.