Neurology Community
Unexplained findings

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Unexplained findings

Hi there, My daughter is currently 13 years old and for the past four years she has been dealing with sever headaches and allergies. For the past two years along with headaches she started to develop into body aches all through her body and at times she would be so tired she would sleep for a good two days. She developed headaches from the time she can remember and tried everything to ease them from medication to sleeping to diet. A decline in academics was occurring along with her ability to function in regular daily activities. The medical field treated her for her allergies, and as for the headaches and pain took more of a psychological approach. Her doctor prescribed her an antidepressant which was used to treat pain. I hesitated and question if she should take them since we had no clear idea what was causing the headaches.  Her allergy specialist after time requested me to ask her family doctor for an MRI or CT scan because of the location of the headaches. With great hesitation and another year passing, an MRI scan identified a left pericallosal focus of T2 signal hyperintensity and subcortical white matter focus of T2 hyperintensity seen within the posterior aspect of the left forontal lobe, near the vertex. Also, at the anterior aspect of the left middle cranial fossa there is a fluid signal structure that may relate to an arachnoid cyst. At first we were told MS, however another MRI followed, the first one being in October/2011 and the second in Mar/2012 which showed no No new white matter lesions were seen. A consultation with a neurologist we were told that her symptoms were no related to what was seen on her MRI, that it was not MS, and that even though images were found on the MRI that these were probably very normal. We continue to deal with these symptoms without the use of medication, the diet we placed her on seems to be helping with her headaches, body cramping and fatigue. As a mother being told that it's probably nothing is very hard to due considering having to help her cope with the symptoms. My gut is telling me to watch carefully and try to keep her doctor monitoring this. I've already been made to feel like i'm a over protective mother but easy for people to say when they don't have to watch their child suffer with so much pain. I'm currently not sure what steps or direction to take at this point. Any suggestions?  
At the risk of sounding like a broken record. . .If you have not had a full nutritional panel run please do even if your child in underweight.  

I went through an awful period with my then 10 y/o daughter.  They were looking at everything from a brain tumor, pueudo tumor cerbri, cancer etc.

I was very luck that her doc ran a nutritional panel on a whim as I have pernicious anemia, and she was severely nutritionally deficient.  In everything.

She was not underweight at all.  She was eventually diagnosed with dietary fructose intolerance.  It is a simple hydrogen breath test.  Although she was fed healthy food, on papaer she was malnourished.  Other parents I have met have had much longer journeys as in this day and age children in modern society do not get tested for nutritional deficiencies.  Since we have been able to heal her intestines, and closely monitor the fructose she takes, she is almost normal.

SHe has not had the debilitating headaches in a couple of years, The fatigue is much better, and she has grown about 12 inches.  

I hope this helps
Thank you for your response, I think you are right regarding dietary malnourished. I am currently taking her to a natural path and we have removed the Wheat, corn and fructose from her diet as he indicated that only 10% of her cells were functioning. I am having a hard time getting the mainstream doctors to point me in the right direction in terms of how we can monitor her. I guess I just don't know what questions to ask the doctor and what to ask for since they don't believe that diet is the issue. I guess I am in the same boat as many other parents struggling to find results and connecting natural health medicine with mainstream medicine. Besides the hydrogen breath test and do mainstream doctors do nutritional testing or would you say that is something to take up with a Natural Path doctor. ?
Thank you again for your response...It's nice to feel connected with someone who has experienced the same issues and can share that with me.