Unexplained foot drop and leg weakness

I wonder if anyone has any experience or advice to give me regarding my symptoms that I'm having great difficulty in getting a diagnosis for.

I originally experienced a sudden onset of lumbar pain in June 06 that progressed to pain travelling down my right leg and foot with weakness and numbness and tingling within a few days.  The weakness cleared up after a few weeks but the pain and discomfort remained.  In Aug 06 I sought manipulation treatment for pain which seemed to improve it.  In Oct. 06 I woke up with sudden pain and weakness in left leg.  This did not improve and I developed left foot drop in Nov. I also now had bilateral symptoms of weakness. Since then I have seen orthopaedic and neurosurgeons and 2 neurologists none of whom can give me any kind of diagnosis.  The MRI showed up a couple of disc herniations in the lumber and thoracic spine, and the myelogram, emg, and LP didn't show up anything.

I am feeling very frustrated with a lack of diagnosis as previously I have been very active and particpated in competitive sports and I would like to know if I will improve and have a full recovery,as I'm finding the foot drop and leg weakness very disabling.

Phil19
did you have an MRI of your brain?
No I haven't had an MRI of my brain and this hasn't been mentioned as I think the doctors think it is to do with my spine.
DRC
My experience is similar to yours except I don't have a lot of pain. Most of the pain I have is in my lower back and I believe it is caused by the leg weakness and foot drop or I have pretty severe "charley horses" in my calf muscles.

I got in the car on day for about a 2 hour drive. I was perfectly fine when I got in the car and had such severe weakness in my right leg when I got out I could hardly stand. I tried to "shake it off" and it has now been 3 1/2 years and it has not gone away... I went to a chiro which was of no good for me. He sent me for a lumbar MRI which was negative for any abnormalities.

In February I went to a neurologist and after doing some minor muscle and neurologic testing he sent me for a brain & brain stem MRI with and without contrast. It shows white spots on the brain and brain stem and we are proceeding with the probable diagnosis of MS.

I agree with the post above that you should have an MRI of the brain. At least rule out MS or some other sort of neuro problems.
I would have an MRI of the Brain to rule out MS. Look up the symptoms of multiple sclerosis and see if this is something you might feel you need to mention to your Doctor.

Good luck !
MS has been considered but the doctors don't think it's that based on the results and examining me.  Another condition that has been mentioned is transverse myelitis, which I don't know much about.  The doctors seem very reluctant to say anything, and am wondering if I'm expecting too much in asking for a diagnosis or prognosis.
Any news Phil? Dx ?
Multiple Sclerosis progression can be slowed with a lot of turmeric ingestion.
Have you had any trouble with balance? This might sound weird, but do you have a dimple above or around the top of you behind or a patch of hair.  I have Spina Bifida and those are classic signs of SB. Also, you may want to check into tethered cord syndrome.  
Have you spoken to doctor and asked about neuromyelilitis optica? I had left leg weakness and the same drop foot and was initially diagnosed with MS. My doctor ordered a blood test to detect if I had Devic's, which is a rare version of MS. I believe the test is called NhMO.
You may have blood circulation problem in legs.  This is diagnosed by a vasscular surgeon looking for peripheral artery disease to explain the left leg claudication.  Doppler test, or comparative blood pressure tests between arm and leg is what they do.
I am suddenly developed weakness on my right foott and I can’t tip toe using the front right foot.  I am also limping since the right foot is not able to carry the body wait when walking.

I do not have no back pain or neck pains; however, I did have a tingling (tired/stretches) signal and muscle tension on my right hip and leg muscle under the right knee for about 6 months.  

I went to see the Neurologist and took the MRI.   According to my Dr. the MRI scan confirms that you have narrowing of the spinal canal, a condition known as lumbar spinal stenosis.    But, the Neurology surgeon said that I can have surgery done, however, there is no guarantee that the weakness will be improved.  

Now I am  back to square one.  I am contacting physical therapy to see if anything I can do to improve the strength of my right foot.

Thanks, Pixuser