Neurology Community
Unexplained numbness, tingling, and other symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

In 2009 I was admitted to the hospital after having progressive left arm numbness off and on for several days. they did all kinds of test over a 2 day period. MRI of brain seemed clear of stroke and MS evidence, sonogram of carotid artery, checked for protein C deficiency, blood sugar levels, Lyme's disease, HIV, and on and on.
Since that time the numbness has progressed to both arms, legs, feet, left side of neck and head. This numbness comes and goes many times a day everyday now. I also have a sensation of pins and needles in my feet and sometimes in my hands, but mostly in my right foot. Sometimes my right foot goes numb and stays that way for hours now. In the last six months a new thing has started happening. I am awakened at night by these swoosh sounds and electric like shocks traveling from my head down throughout my whole body. Sometimes when I get up in the mornings I am very unsteady on my feet and these electric shocks and swooshing sounds. While sleeping I am often awakened by the severity of the numbness in my arms or legs, though I am not laying on them. I also sometimes see bright jagged lights that block my view and has a "C" shape in the middle of my field of vision, it usually last 40 minutes or so. The last time it happened I went totally blind for about 10 minutes....nothing else happened when this was going on, just went black, then my vision came back just as quick as it left.
I do have psoriasis on my right hand and right big toe. I have a lot of severe joint pain, every joint, every day, but especially the feet and knees. I also suffer from migraines and lately have had a pretty big increase in the floaters in my eyes. I have been diagnosed with degenerative bone and joint disease and have had lumbar reconstructive surgery in 2008. The removed L4, L5, L6 (I had an extra vertibrae). I have Dupont disk and titanium cage in place.

Any thought or ideas for me? I am tired of hurting and the numbness.

Thank you in advance,
"Bewildered"
Hi!
Electric current like feeling can be due to side effects of certain medications. So if you are on any drug, ask your doctor and stop this drug and see if it helps. It can also be due to fibromyalgia, Vit D or Vit B12 deficiency or peripheral neuropathy of diabetes and hypothyroidism. A pinched nerve can also be the cause. Lyme’s disease is another possibility.
MRI of the neck and NCV and EMG studies should be done to rule out radiculopathy. If you do not have blindness literally, but suffer from episodes of blackouts then those could be due to postural hypotension (falling with change of position), internal ear problems, cervical spondylitis, anemia, GERD, hypoglycemia or low sugar and some endocrine problems. I know you have undergone extensive tests, but please consult your doctor regarding these possibilities. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

I started all these symptoms while on no drugs at all. I am now on vitamin D and B12 and these are monitored by monthly blood test. I have had test for Lyme's disease, hypothyroisism, MRI of the neck (showed some bulging disk but not much of note), slow blood glucose test, and many others....all with no to little results.
I am in moderate to severe pain every morning when I rise. My feet, knees, shoulders, neck, and hands hurt. When I first rise my feet/knees do not work well and my husband says I look like a 100 year old woman all crooked over with feet stuck to the ground trying to walk. My left knee is giving out daily now. I work 12 to 16 hour days on my feet and cannot quit as my family depends on me to work so we have insurance. But seems to me I need some answers or I may not be able to work.
I now take a pain med, vitamin D, and B12 when it's low. Nothing else. D level is finally stable but no change in my symptoms.
Thank you for responding to my post. I am praying for answers and will take your suggestions in to dr for consideration. I have just come to a stand still and needed an outside opinion.
I am seriously wondering if I have fibromyalgia.......my mom has it but I don't think her symptoms are this severe.
Desperately seeking answers......I'm only 48 and have a LIFE to live, this isn't living :/
Also, in reference to the GERD suggestion, I don't have any gastro-intestinal issues. Can you explain what made you mention this? Maybe I am missing something here.

Thank you,
mychelle