Neurology Expert Forum
Unexplained tremors/twitching/spasms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Unexplained tremors/twitching/spasms

I am a 28-year old male, 350lbs, diagnosed with idiopathic syringomyelia (syrinx located between C4 & T1 on July 2008, shunt inserted Oct. 2008) and ankylosing spondylitis (diagnosed June 2010).  I also have musical hallucinations, present since I was about 10 years old, but I do not take any medication to control them.

Over the last year, I have noticed a steady worsening of my coordination, as well as increasing weakness in my limbs and hands/feet, tremors, muscle twitches ranging from little tics to sudden, jerking spasms involving several muscles severe enough to wake me from sleep -- the former being much more common than the latter.  These symptoms become worse with more activity.

I had similar symptoms in 2008 which resulted in discovery of the syrinx, and post-surgery the symptoms resolved.  The syrinx has not grown in size from the time the shunt was inserted, so the two neurosurgeons I've seen are uncertain that it is the source of the re-emerging problem instead of a symptom of another problem.  Ankylosing spondylitis was diagnosed in 2010 based on joint pain generally, sacroiliac joint pain specifically, family history, and testing positive for HLA-B27.  My rheumatologist and both neurosurgeons agree that ankylosing spondylitis is not the source of the problem.  Current MRIs of my brain and spine show no lesions and no tumors, and no Chiari malformation which would explain syringomyelia.  My thyroid is normal, and I am not diabetic.  I did fall down on top of my head while playing touch-football (someone "forgot" it was touch-football) when I was 12, and had a throbbing headache and dizziness/nausea that lasted for about an hour, for which I sought no treatment and for which no signs of trauma are apparent.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is difficult to tell what the movement disorders are based on the description. However, given your past history, I would highly suggest you obtain an EEG of the brain. This will look at the electrical activity and determine if you have any areas that can be seizure producing. The musical hallucinations are interesting and may be related. I would suggest you follow up with a neurologist to work this up further.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

It is possible that your spasms and twitches could be myoclonus, I have spinal myoclonus and nothing shows up on the MRI of my brain and spine. It can occur for no reason or it can be due to injury, bone spurs and numerous other reasons. It might be worth asking neuro if it is a possibility.
Hope this is useful to you.
Suz