Neurology Community
Unilateral Nystagmus (with Dizziness/Disequilibrium)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What would cause one eye to shake while tracking something moving side to side, but only that one eye and only when the moving object is on that side of the vision field?

I've got a bunch of other symptoms all since Dec 30th, mainly dizziness, balance problems, and weakness/shakiness, intermittent blurry vision. But this is the most bizarre to me and seems so specific I thought it should be able to narrow down possibilities (I have been repeatedly sent to ENTs who repeatedly tell me nothing is wrong with my ears ??). I have been in the hospital for this but apparently prematurely discharged according to everyone I have seen since and I have a couple weeks wait for an MRI appointment yet if I don't want to check myself back in so I am curious in the meantime and wondering if I should consider anything else.

I have tried googling unilateral nystagmus and slow tracking, wasn't helpful.

Just that. Thanks in advance.
-1 Comments Post a Comment
Hi headprob, thanks for your reply. It doesn't really seem to apply though. I have never had any dental fillings or other dental work, and coincidentally I avoid MSG and eat mostly whole foods or meals I prepare from whole foods.

I have no burning or pain related to this. And nothing is wrong with my ears, they keep checking them because ear problems are a common cause of dizziness -- but my ears are absolutely fine and always have been.

Of course I am trying to research and find my own answers along with the doctors, especially since they apparently did not solve the problem while I was in the hospital already. I have come here because my own online searches haven't gotten me clear answers yet as far as solid possibilities.

Thanks!
I have your symptoms and have seen several neurologists and ENT doctors.
It seems I suffered an injury to my vestibular system.  The most probable cause was a very long and severe viral infection.  The only real solution is to go to balance therapy.  The brain will need to re- calibrate as to compensate
for the dysfunction.  Fortunately this is an injury and not a disease.  It may get better over time.  Good Luck.