Neurology Community
Unknown, uncontrolable full body shaking and more

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For this question it will take a while to explain, but I am desperate and just want any ideas possible.  I have never been a truly healthy individual.  I have allergies, asthma, hypoglycemia, and frequent migraines.  I have had all of those since I can remember.  In the summer of 2007, things changed though.  I worked at a hotel that was redoing their interior design (explain relevance later).  While there, and working as a musician, I became very fatigued and tired.  I had a tour that summer as well to Carnegie Hall and thought the stress of that was making me tired.  The week of that tour I almost fainted behind the wheel after working at the hotel.  I was rushed to the hospital with shaking, fatigue, confusion, faintness, and tunnel vision.  I was discharged with a diagnosis of dehydration, which i still don't think is right (1 IV was administered, it went straight through me).  After that, the summer continued and never gained full strength back.  I went off to college and about three weeks in I woke up shaking uncontrollably, had a massive migraine behind my right eye, cold, low body temperature, intense ringing in the ears, and feeling faint.  I was admitted to a hospital near my school and given fluids and pain medication.  The migraine lasted for 6 days after the first hospital visit.  Shaking continued, my ears haven't stopped ringing, and the fatigue stayed.  I flew home and had an MRI and CAT scan done, which both showed nothing.  After 3 straight weeks of not being able to walk from one side of my 10 foot dorm room to the other without almost collapsing on the floor with full body shaking and fatigue and pain, I decided it was time to go home.  Since then I have been to 6 doctors all which treat the shaking as part of my migraine.  My migraines come and go more frequently than before the 6 day incident last year (used to be 1 time every 2 months, now 3-8 times a month).  But regardless if I have a migraine or not I still shake every night, I can not play my harp for more than an hour (used to play for 4-6 hours in a day).  I can't write for more than an hour, walk for too long a period, do heavy physical activities.  My voice is also effected, it becomes raspy and horse.  With the shaking, its not just shaking, it starts as pain, shooting up from my extremities (hands/arms are the worst), then shaking starts slowly, then it becomes so bad i cant grip things or pick up objects.  The shaking then moves from my extremities and into the core of my body.  If I don't lay down or relax the shaking becomes large.  I tell my muscles to relax, they can for about a second, then they tense up and shake again.  I cant keep it relaxed (even with deep breathing, meditation).  A new idea is nerve gas poisoning from the chemicals in the carpet glue used at my old hotel job. I don't know if that is possible but someone mentioned it recently.  I have been to six different doctors across this nation, and I still have no answer. They treat the migraine but not the shaking.  Migraines have diminished on medications, but shaking is still here.  Slightly better than the first attacks, but only a little.  I can function in daily life, but at the end of the day I still shake, still have pain, still have the ringing in the ears.

Does anyone, anyone have any ideas? Please, if you have any ideas I am willing to hear them, I just want my body to go back to normal, so I can do the things I used to enjoy.  And sorry for the long post, but it is the only way to explain everything fully.
A number of your symptoms resemble magnesium deficiency.
http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html
http://www.ctds.info/magnesium.html

Carol
Thanks for the reply, one of the doctors I have been to this year thought that.  I had my blood drawn and my magnesium levels were perfect.  Unfortunately, it wasn't that simple.  Plus, I have been taking magnesium pills since I was 10 for migraines, it is supposed to help with them.  But thank you for the response!
You said, "I had my blood drawn and my magnesium levels were perfect."
Yes, they were perfect in your blood, but they are likely low in the cells of your muscles and nerves.

When you get a chance, read the information at the url's I listed.
One of the reasons the magnesium is deficient is an underlying infection, where the bacteria uses up our mag.

Carol
i have been shaking for six months. i start with a migraine in the back of my head then i have muscle weakness in my arms and legs. i have had an mri seen two neurologists and i am still shaking.. any ideas??