Neurology Community
Unsure of random pains..

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Unsure of random pains..

I am 23 years old, and a very healthy female. I am an office manager, so I am sit most of the day, but are very active after work, sometimes before. I have braces, and I did just get them tightened (might have something to do with it)

About four days ago, I started getting a shooting pain in the back of my head behind my left ear. It happens randomly, and feels like a pulsating intense pain. It only lasts about 5 to 15 seconds, but comes back periodically. It gets worse by the day, today it is more of a steady pain with more intense sharp pains coming through randomly.

I tried to pinpoint where on my head it was coming through, and the left side of my head from the middle of my ear to about an inch and a half above my ear is more tender that the right side. There are no bumps or anything - compared to my right side.

Any idea of what this could be? I have no health insurance right now and I could really use some advice.
Thank you!
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Generally pain in the back portion of the head originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of head pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar pain with sinusitis (sinus with infected mucus) and migraine. If you suffer continuous pain at back of head, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!