Neurology Community
Upcoming Ulnar Nerve Transpositon Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

After a cervical spine fusion 3 years ago, I developed ulnar nerve entrapments in both elbows, that affected both hands.  After many consults with different types of doctors, and trying nonsurgical methods, luckily the right arm has subsided (isn't completely gone), but the left arm got worse.  It was also determined that it was coming from the elbows, and not the neck.

I have the traditional symptoms, with pain in the elbow area near the funny bone, going down the bottom of the arm to the pinky, the outer alf of my ring finger, and numbness in the hand all the way to the wrist.  The pain is there unless I am loaded with Celebrex and Tylenol, and the numbing is there whenever my arm is bent the slightest bit.  I wake up several times a night with this as well.

I am having the Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery, I think submuscular, within the next few weeks on the left arm.  I should find out the date either tomorrow or the next day.  All I was told was that it will be same day surgery, and I will be wearing a heavy bukly splint from the shoulder to the wrist.  He also said this surgery is highly successful, and there are not many problems with recovery.  He said the splint is not to get wet, and not to be taken off.  I will probably be wearing it for around 2 and a half to 3 weeks, and then possibly physical therapy after that.

My question is this:  I am a male, married, and I have very little support, so basically I am going at this alone.  I am trying to guage how much help I will need, based on mobility and pain level.  I have had several surgeries before, and I know the first few days are always the worst.  But in this case, is it days? or a day? or a week?

Can I be left alone the day after surgery?  Or do I need to hire a home health aide?
If I cannot be by myself, how long do you think it take till I can be?

I am only 30, and I do not want to do the best I can to make this as successful as possible and put this behind me.  I just don't know what to expect, and since I don't have help, I'm trying to figure out how much help I am going to need.

Also, my doctor found that I may have some carpal tunnel syndrome of the other nerve, the one affecting the middle fingers.  I have a lot of pain now in the wrist, but it is hard for me to tell if it more the middle or the outside (which I guess would determine which nerve is causing the pain).  I guess since I'd be going in for surgery anyway, and I'd be "under" anyway, can the surgeon do both at the same time?  Or do we do one and see what happens?  I really don't want to have any more surgery after this.

I also just had abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago, and even though I am still recovering from that, I was cleared to have this one.  That is another reason why I need to know how much help I will need/how much I can do on my own, since I am still healing from that.

So not to repeat, but I think my main question is can I do this alone, and can I be alone the day(s) after the surgery, or do I need to hire help.

Thank you,

mgs02

I made a typo.  Please see the following paragraph instead of the same one I initially wrote.  Thank you, mgs02

I am only 30, I want to do the best I can to make this as successful as possible and put this behind me.  I just don't know what to expect, and since I don't have help, I'm trying to figure out how much help I am going to need.