Neurology Community
Upper Thigh/Lower Buttock Twitch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Upper Thigh/Lower Buttock Twitch

For over three weeks now, every night, between 9 and 10:45pm, a twitch begins in my left upper thigh/lower buttock (fairly deep in there). The twitch pulses, like a heartbeat (although it is slower), and prevents me from getting to sleep and staying asleep. I have tried heat pads, icy hot, stretching, vitamins, electrolyte drinks, and massages. I cannot recall an injury to the area, and there is no pain associated with the twitch. I have had blood-work done and everything checked for, TSH, CMP, CBC, Creatine Kinase, Magnesium, and general blood levels, all came back normal. The twitch begins whether I am stationary or not (in bed or playing sports). Generally it will last until morning, finally subsiding around 9am.

Reading this over, I realize it sounds a bit like a riddle–but that's the problem... I can't figure out what is going on, and it is truly driving me crazy. Have you heard of anything like this? This twitch is on some sort of internal clock, and is unresponsive to stretching, massaging, heating and cooling.

Please, any advice would be helpful, and I thank you ahead of time.
Sounds like RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) based on the time of day you are experiencing the symptoms.  RLS correlates with dopamine levels in the brain which drop into the evening/night.  There is no specific testing for this; it is based on physical assessment and symptoms.  There is no cure; it is only managed with medication, etc.  This is just a GUESS.

Are you taking any medications at this time?  Any medical conditions?

If this persists, I would recommend following up with a Neurologist.
Thanks for the prompt response. I'm not taking any medications and have no medical conditions (that I'm aware of).

Thanks for the information. I'l check out RLS.
Yes, check out the information, but be sure to follow up with a Neurologist if this persists.