Upper thoracic lesion found on chest MRI-Pain in back and chest
Hello, I am 46 yrs. old, female, and have been having pain in my upper back (between shoulder blades, toward left side) which goes through to the left side of my chest.  Also, feel 'squezing under left armpit and very recently feel tingling in spine area in back of neck)  Have seen numerous drs. Tests done include MRI of cervical, upper thorasic, body scan (twice) chest xray and spiral CT scan.  All were negative until the most recent...

QUESTION:  A chest MRI just performed showed a lesion in the upper thorac ic area.  Specifically "Well circumscribed lesion in the superior end plate of the mid thoracic vertebral body has signal characteristics most consistent with a fat containing lesion such as lipoma."  My orthopaedist referred me to a spine dr. He order a bone scan, came back normal.  He now says that the lesion is 'probably OK' and suggests I go to a pain mngt. dr.  I have tried this before and also physical theraphy and saw no improvement.  

The pain started faintly about 4 yrs ago and is now very bad and constant.  The orthopedist wants to try an anti- inflamatory and anitdepressant (used for chronic pain).  (meds=amtriptyline 10 mg and piroxicam 20 mg)  

I am getting a 2nd opinion to make sure the lesion is not a tumor (e.g. primary bone tumor???)  Please give me some info and advice.  

Many thanks.....

Second opinions are always a good idea.  However the differences between a common benign fat tumor and a bone cancer or lung cancer would be quite striking.  Go ahead for your second opinion, especially if it is looking for a source of your pain.  Try to relax . The chest lesion sounds inconsequential.  I am not a radiologist and have not seen the images.  Q!uix