Neurology Expert Forum
Urgent-Understanding MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Urgent-Understanding MRI

Dear, Doctor,
I had an MRI on my head as they were looking for chusion's disease and I don't understand the results.Here they are:

Clinical Findings: Rule out pituitary tumor

Technique: Multisequence multiplanar unenhanced MRI of the sella region

Findings: No evidence of a suprasellar extension of the pituitary gland. The pituitary stalk is in the midline. There is no tissue extending into the parasellar structures. Normal signal of the adeno- and of the neurohypophysis.The remainder of the brian demonstrates a cystic dilatation within the left lateral ventricle that extends to the trigone of the lateral ventricle and over which the fornix is stretched. I would recommend dedicated cerebral imaging with an MRI of the brian to further elucidate this finding. As of yet there is no midline shift and no significant mass effect on the adjacent sulci and gyri.

Impression: While the sellar region is normal, a cystic dilation is found within the posterior part of the left lateral ventrical extending the trigone of the ventrical that should be further followed with imaging.

Please help explian this if you can and tell me what steps i have to take now

A little background information: 17 year old male, 250 pounds, I gained 100 pounds of that in 2 years but had really high fat diet, smoked for a couple years but since august 2008 I have quit. I also drank for a couple years and have quit that also as of september 2008. I'm just really unsure of what these results mean.

Thanks a million Aaron
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, and review your MRI (which is not one of our roles on this website), I can not comment on the exact findings however I will try to give you some idea of what the above means.

It first states that there is no evidence of a problem in the area of the pituitary gland, where they may have been looking for a tumor to explain your cushing's disease. The entire area of the pituitary gland is reported as normal.

Then it states that there is an enlargement of the lateral ventricle and the trigone. The ventricles are the areas of the brain that are normally filled with cerebrospinal fluid, CSF, which coats the brain and spinal cord. The trigone is part of this same system. It does not state exactly how dilated the ventricle is; the cause would in large part be determined by the appearance of the ventricle, its size, the appearnce of the surrounding brain tissue. A dilation of the ventricles could be due to many causes: first and most commonly, it could be a normal variant: just a natural occurence without consequences. Other causes include a shrinking in the surrounding brain which could have many causes (in someone your age, some old scarring due to a stroke around birth etc), or something blocking the flow of CSF from that ventricle such as scarring or a tumor. Please understand I am not trying to imply you have a tumor or stroke, but only that those are some of many many causes.

It then concludes by stating that another MRI, with different sequences is recommended. Basically you would just have another MRI, it would be no different for you except maybe a little longer in duration, but the technical aspects of the MRI would change (the technician would just run different sequences on the machine). This would allow the radiologist to view the brain in another sort of aspect, and would allow better assessment of your brain and ventricles. There are other types of MRI called MRI cine flow studies which can also be used to assess how CSF flows through the ventricles. I recommend you follow-up with your doctor, and referral to a neurologist if that has not yet been done may be indicated if your physicians feel that the ventricle abnormality is significant. It is important to share your questions and concerns with your physicians.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.