VP SHUNT - OVER DRAINAGE
My child is a preterm and is having hydrocephalus problem. He operated with VP shunt in Sept 2009 (age-4 months)(csf protein-200). In FEb. 2010 they again operated by extending the pipe to ventricles (age - 9 months, csf protein-43).
All the time, my child is active and normal.
In June, CT scan showed that water is over draining and is causing VENTRICLES shrinking.
Now, Doctor advised for revision of VP shunt to PROGRAMMABLE SHUNT - HAKIM VALVE.
Please guide me at this hour of decision.
What are the advantages & disadvantages of programmable shunt?
Or shall I go for normal VP Shunt
(Doctor advised that HAKIM will not require furture operations to set the pressure)
Hi, Thank you very much for your question. If he has continuous symptoms, possible causes may be shunt is either under-draining or over-draining. His doctor can assess this with a lumbar puncture and measures the fluid pressure. He/She may make some adjustment of the shunt to allow it to drain more and can monitor if the symptoms improve. Another possibility could be shunt is over-draining, that may lead to low CSF pressure that can also lead to headache. This may improve when the person lies down and gets worse when the person sits or stands. Other possibility could be migraine or cluster headache since these types of headaches are quite common in females. Even then if she suffers continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of her headaches and can suggest her appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.