Neurology Community
VP Shunt recovery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

VP Shunt recovery

I am 45 year old male. Have had VP Shunt inserted 3 weeks ago. Flow has been adjusted a number of times due to debilitating nausea when trying to sit or stand. I am still experincing Headeaches and slight nausea (not debilitating). Sometimes blocked feeling and humming in the ears. I have been instructed to wait and let the body adjust before any further adjustments are done to the flow rate of the shunt. Should I just accept this or get another opinion?
I would suggest you wait and watch and if your symtoms (symptoms) get any worse then seek a second opinion.
How are you feeling now?
Ventriculo-Peritoneal shunt surgery is performed to drain the excess amount of CSF fluid from ventricles to abdominal cavity i.e. peritoneum.
If you feel you are having any of the symptoms of raised intracranial tension like headache, vomiting, irritability, double vision and other associated symptoms like seizure, and then you can revise or readjust the shunt.
It takes time for body to get adjusted for VP shunt. But if you more than one of above symptom, than you have to urgently report to your neurosurgeon.
If possible for you to get another opinion, please get it, if not, than you can wait and see for annoying symptom.
Bye.
VP Shunt (Ventriculo-Peritoneal shunt ) is performed to drain the excess amount of CSF fluid from ventricles to abdominal cavity using different types of drain tubes tunneled subcutaneously.
If possible seek  another opinion

i am 24 and had a shunt put in a month ago i am experiencing the same symptoms, when i read your question it was almost scary because it described me exectly!!!  i have had several opinions and so far everyone has told me that it just takes time for your body to adjust.  Thats a difficult thing when your going through it though, its hard to wait.  For now i am just giving it time.
I received a vp shunt one month ago, my doctor never took
me off of diamox meds. I thought once sugery was over, diamox
was over. I'm experiencing drainage from my nose, but do not have
a cold. I'm still very sore, how long is recovery period to return back to
work full time?
The last 2 years have been a time I choose not to remember. I had a total of 7 shunt surgeries. The surgeon has let me go and said there is nothing else he can do for me. Now my Neurologist, and Pain Management doctors want me to see another surgeon and have him look at the shunt. I don't know if I can take anymore of it. So if you are planning on getting a shunt or have already gotten one, it won't be the last. The symptoms you described goes along with the shunts and most of the time they don't work anyway and have to be taken out. Sorry, I wish there were good news but so far I have not found any.
I am 25. I had a VP shunt put in when I was born and have not had any revision sugeries. I have recently (in the past 6 months) have been having horrible headaches, short term memory loss, pain around the shunt area (in the neck). I went to the ER and found out that my shunt is broken and Im going to have to have revision surgery. I have NEVER had any type of surgery in my life (besides the placement of the VP shunt when I was born) so Im kind of freaked about surgery. Anyone know the recovery time of the revision surgery? THANKS!
I am 52 years old and had a programmable LP shunt put in about 8 months ago for a condition called IIH or PTC. A week ago, I had to have the settings changed from 2.0(20) to 1.5 (15). I am still dealing with the side effects of low pressure. I know it will be awhile before my body will adjust to this new setting. The headaches are taken care of with over the counter meds.  I know several people who have LP shunts and several who have VP shunts Even with the complications they experience, if you ask them them would they do it again, their answer would be DEFINATELY !
My suggestion is to be patient and if symptoms get worse, than either go back to the doc or get a second opinion.
Debi
Hi my name is Ricky, i just recently had a VP shunt in place on Sept.  8th,2011. On Sept. 16, i been feeling very crummy, frequently vomits,and dizzyness. i loose appetite,and complain too much. This whole entire Shunt has been a real nightmare. Dont feel normal nomore. i have many restrictions. I cant eat properly,cant drive,cant work,cant travel,cant sleep properly and wake up too early. 3:30-4:40am.
Hi im 33 and have been having problems with headaches and memory loss and vision problems. Like you i had my vp shunt put in when i was born. DID YOU HAVE YOUR SURGERY? Any side effeHow long was your recovery?cts?
I suffered an intra-ventricular hemorrhage (bleed into a ventricle in my brain) in Feb 2012 at age 60.  After relieving the pressure and attempting unsuccessfully to wean me off the external shunt, the neurosurgeon placed a programmable VP shunt.  Three months later I have only some short-term memory challenges, and am now driving and back to work as an engineer.  Other than watching my blood pressure (with meds to address that) I'm pretty much back to a "normal" life.
Hi, my sister (born with spina bifida & hydrosephalus) was suffering from terrible migraines for the past few months. Her brain got swollen and MRI showed it was a possible tumor. Her N/S ran another MRI and saw that it wasn't. It was her brain that was swollen and was bulging down her scull. Migraines/bad pain was caused by blocked tube. She had surgery today, 1 hour long, and so far is a trooper. In recovery and already eating jello and soft food! N/S thought he might need to replace her shunt but that was OK. It was only the tubing (upper one from what I understand). She got VP shunt when she was 8 days old and has had the same one. The revisions have been to give her more length in the tubing and now to clear it up and replace.

What was news to us is finding out that a shunt has 4 major components: upper catheter, resevoir, valve and lower catheter. Apparently, my sister was only given 3 of the 4. She never got the valve. Am trying to do research on why?!?

When you have a valve, you're supposed to have a card with the serial #. She had THE hardest time getting her recent MRI's because they kept requesting that info. N/S was smart enough to tell hospital she has gotten MRI done before so it shouldn't be a problem to do another one! He got it done and has been a life saver.
vp shunt surgery was done on Sept. 7th of 2011.  so far 3 adjustment by using a programmable magnet device.only 1 issue left, that is double vision just about 2 months ago has started.  the rest of the prior symptoms has been eliminated.  CT SCAN WAS executed about 2 months ago. I might need a shunt replacement by jan 2013.  
My father had intercranial hemorrhage but Dr. don't support any neurosurgery for patient conditions.patient also have CABG,after 18 days of strokes Dr. Prescribe to do vp shunt and we do it.now 48 hours have passed but patient have no response.His BP 110/70,RR 18,pulse 76.now what can we do?
My husband had the same experience, however, his shunt "overdrained" and after repeated hospitalizations, they disconnected it.
The overdraining is thought to be the cause of a subdural hematoma which then became another nightmare until a new neurosurgeon removed the hematoma.   The shunt became the decision we should never have made.  We should have listened to one neurologist who warned us about the problems they can cause.