VP Shunt
I want to know is it possible to have a Vp Shunt removed.  I had one put in two weeks ago for high pressuer and now I am sicker then I was before the shunt and want to have it removed.  
Thank you for your question. Shunt removal will depend upon condition to condition, if it is extremely malfunctioning then can be removed or replaced. However if you have continuous symptoms like headache, possible causes may be shunt is either under-draining or over-draining. Your doctor can assess this with a lumbar puncture and measures the fluid pressure. He/She may make some adjustment of the shunt to allow it to drain more and can monitor if the headache improve. Another possibility could be shunt is over-draining, that may lead to low CSF pressure that can also lead to headache. This may improve when the person lies down and gets worse when the person sits or stands. Please arrange an appointment with your treating doctor right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of your symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you.
Hi...u may need to have it adjusted...it can take time for the drs to know which setting will work for u.....call ur dr...but yes if a shunt is no longer needed they r at times removed....I would encourage u  to give it more time. And allow the drs to get the right setting, plus give urself time to heal from the surgery itself.

Good luck

"selma"