Neurology Expert Forum
Vascular Headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Vascular Headache

My wife for the past few days has on and off a pulsating headache that we think fits in the category of vascular headache. It is not a migraine headache because she shows none of the other symptoms that we have seen listed for migraine. It does not appear to fit the category of cluster headache or of tension headache either. What are the common causes of vascular, non-migraine headaches?
Dear Mr. Stallings:

Vascular headaches are common.  Their etiology is vast, everything from tension, stress, caffeine (both intake and withdrawal), pain medications, foods, food additives, allergies, sinus infections, ear infections, etc.  They can arise form tumors, epilepsy, etc. but usually these will give you neurological signs.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I'm not sure if what I get is the same but I have had for the past 10 months a problem where I get a pulsing in the left side of my head. It doesn't hurt and it lasts for about 5-10 minutes. Do yo think that this is the same thing? I get it every couple of days. It is right above my ear at the pulse point and it feels as if the vein is going to pop out of my head when it happens. Originally I thought that this was a twitch but it seems now like it is a lot stronger than a twitch. I do have problems with twitching though in other areas of my body. I've been to the neurologist and he nor my intern seemed concerned but since this has been going on for so long I have been very worried. Dr., is this a vascular problem? If not, can you please direct me to the appropriate type of doctor to get this checked out?
Dear Lisa:

Puslations can be venous dilations or perceived pulsations from muscles, or nerves.  The repeated nature and short durations, without pain would indicate that your symptoms are likely from the former two categories.  Since you have muscle twitches in other areas, what your experiencing is muscle twitches.  Your neurologist would be the correct physician to analyze the problem.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Dear Lisa:

Please see your posting.  Please do not multiple post as you are taking away someone's space and need.

CCF Neuro MD
i have been diagnosed with a venous angioma on my left frontal lobe. i was having headaches at the rear base of my skull and it happen to show up on an MRI. as it turns out the headaches were being caused by stress and disk dessication (desiccation) in the upper cervical disks. however,what percentage of chance do i have, having no symptoms as of yet, to have some sort of bleeding. i know that they say with a venous angioma bleeding is exceedingly rare but i do better with numbers. any help you could offer would be appreciated.

thank you :)
Dear Jeremy:

As you stated the odds are in your favor that your angioma will not bleed.  I would keep healthy, avoid cocaine, excessive alcohol, smoking, and make sure your blood pressure is under control.

CCF Neuro MD
I am adopting a baby who has an occipital venous angioma.  I have been trying to research but cannot determine if this is a tumor in the brain or if it is between the skin and the skull. Does anyone know?
Dear Glenna:

A venous angioma is a congenital defect of a group of veins in the brain.  They usually do not bleed.  Most of the time they cause no problems.  It depends on where they are located, as most are in the spinal cord.  But obviously, some are not.  They are not tumors.  They usually do not enlarge.  I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I know this may sound really stupid, but it has become a problem that concerns me.  I have not had this problem until a week ago when I took a physical fitness test for the National Guard and on the same day received a flu shot.  The problem is sexual in nature.  Everything leading up to and during intercourse there is no problem, however, when I come close to orgasm I start getting a pounding in the lower back of my head, moving to just above my left ear and on one occasion my whole head felt like it was about to explode.  This has occurred every time we have had intercourse each day for the past week, except on one occasion. It has me and my fianc
Dear Steven:

You have developed a well-known condition called coital migraine variant.  This is usually a self-limiting disorder that tends to go away with time.  One can prophyalax with high dose ibuprofen before the sexual encounter, some people find that indomethacin works well, or you can just stop having sex for awhile (likely not a good remedy).  I hope that the high dose ibuprofen works (try 800 mg).

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
TO ALL......I have been diagnostic, 8 yeras ago with Arterio Vanous Malformation. AVM.....48 years female. Now they say that also I have hemangioma...I went to have a Gama Knife but at that time I have Blood on the AVM and could,t doit.....My question is this...Is this a very URGENT case to have a Gama Knife ???  Now, the doctors don,t want Gama, they want to meke me an Embolization but I am very afraid....I am not sure.In my last MRI you can see very clear the malformation with Nidus (hemangioma). Left flrontal lobe side very deep...Can,t surgery...I an,t handlle and heavy thing bacuse the migraine come instantly..... Thank,s...I can,t post, is always full....... ***@****
Dear Carmen:

Please see your other posting on this same posting.

CCF Neuro MD
I GET HEADACHES ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY HEAD, STARTING IN THE FORHEAD, A THROBBING PAIN, MADE WORSE BY BENDING OVER, LIFTING,
COUGHING ETC.. SOMETIMES THER IS A DULL ACHE ACROSS MY FORHEAD,WHERE AS ANY KIND OF MOVEMENT, ESPECIALLY STANDING UP,OR TURNING MY HEAD, CAUSES DIZZINESS, SOMETIMES ACCOMPINED BY AN UPSET STOMACH. I HAVE THESE HEADACHES ALMOST ON A DAILY BASIS.I HAVE TAKEN SINUS MEDS, MIGRANES (migraines) HAVE BEEN RULED OUT. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
Dear Cathy:

Sounds like you might have what we call a transformed headache.  I would speak to your neurologist about your headaches and maybe get a referral to a headache specialist if your neurologist doesn't feel comfortable with your type of headaches.  Most likely he/she does and will be able to deal with your headaches.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD