"Vegetative State" 3 weeks after Non-traumatic hypoxic brain injury?
Someone very close to me (late twenties), with a history of past seizures (one or two), was found several hours after having what we think was [a] status epilepticus, in a pool of vomit and blood (the former of which he aspirated into his lungs). We don't know whether his heart stopped and started in the hours he was on his own, but he did go into cardaic arrest twice, once on the way to the hospital and once while there (for about 4-5 minutes). Since then, he has been on kidney dialysis as he went into renal failure, only opens his eyelids, does not react to external stimuli particularly voluntarily, does not speak or attempt to -or move, and we have been told that he has a 20% chance of waking up and having some semblance of a normal life, 40% chance of waking up and being institutionalised for the rest of his life, and 40% chance of never 'waking up' at all. This incident happened 3 weeks ago. I am aware that as time goes by without him waking up, the odds are increasingly stacked against him. (he is also on a PEG tube)
Could someone else give me a rough prognosis at all? | am aware things do not look good, but have been told this past weekend that he has been running a fever, which they apparently think might be because he is experiencing some pain; is this really a 'good thing', that his brain might be processing/responding to pain, by way of a fever?
I do not know at what stage they will start to really decrease his chances of any kind of recovery; 1 month? 3 months in this state?
I am not a family member, so am obviously not as informed as they are, but am getting this information relayed to me BY the family.
Could they ever, at any point, attempt to use the sleeping 'drug' Zolpidem, to try and wake him up at all? I have of course seen the stories about a percentage of PVS patients who woke up when they were administered with it.
Also, since his eyes are open and it is not therefore a coma, are people who suffer non-traumatic brain injury less likely to come out of a vegetative or minimally conscious state (I do not know, if any, which he is being classified as, since it has been a day or two over three weeks) than they are likely to come out of a full coma? I have heard of people recovering from an extended coma more often than I have heard of people coming out of a PVS.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.