Neurology Community
Venous Angioma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Venous Angioma

I recently had a CT, MRI, and MRA done because I get severe headaches in the right side of my forehead that spreads down my face causing my face to feel numb or weakened. The results showed what appears to be a right frontal venous angioma, mild gliosis around that area and a 3.3 cm mucous retention cyst in the left maxillary sinus. The doctor says the venous angioma is normal and that there is nothing that can be done for it and the same for the cyst. Do I need to see a neurologist or ENT for any of these? It doesn't seem like these headaches should be "normal" because of a cluster of vessels.
Thank you very much for your questions; although it is quite difficult for me to give you a precise opinion here without having seen you in clinic, but I would like to provide you some useful information.

Venous angiomas are variants in the brain’s normal venous system.  Usually, the venous pathways are separated by normal brain tissue but in venous angioma there is an abnormal appearance of few normal veins. These veins also act like normal veins from a physiologic perspective. Therefore, venous angiomas are very often benign, but 1/3 of the patients have associated with other brain malformations that carry a higher morbidity/mortality.  Most of the times venous angiomas are quickly identified on MRI, but some of the smaller vascular malformations may be difficult to identify. Since you have symptoms of headache & numbness of half face, I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. Apart from this for persistent and recurring headaches, possibilities like any pinched nerve condition, neurological disorder, migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here If your neurologist identifies further warning signs he or she would like to refer you to a neurosurgeon much sooner.  Hope this helps.