Neurology Expert Forum
Vertebral Artery Dissection
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vertebral Artery Dissection

Hello,

On June 2, while talking to a co-worker, I felt a "click" in my head, felt suddenly dizzy and slightly numb on the ring of the left side of my face. The dizziness lasted about 30 minutes before clearing. Did not have speech impediments or confusion. Have not had any deficits since.

I went to a neurologist, they did the usual physical tests and found nothing unusual. They scheduled an MRI/MRA. Had this done July 8. On July 11, I received a call early in the morning from a resident letting me know that I should start taking aspirin but did not give me more details. The neurologist called later to explain that the scan showed no clear indications of anything wrong, BUT...

...they "could not confirm and they could not rule out" a possible left vertebral artery dissection. He said it was a "suspicious area." The doctor said I should take aspirin daily for the next three months at which time I would have another MRI/MRA series and a follow-up appointment with a Dr. in the Stroke Center. Have not had any significant recurrences though I sometimes feel "ice cream"-type headaches on my right side since taking the extra-strength aspirin.

I am M/34, have not had serious health issues, cholesterol levels are quite healthy. Only relevant family history involves my father's death in his 50s due to brain tumor.

Questions: Should I be pushing for more clarity in the diagnosis or is this kind of approach common? I am left uneasy with "cannot confirm and cannot rule out" statement and letting me spend 3 months with this insecurity. Should I ask for aspirin/dipyridamole?

Thanks.