Neurology Community
Vertebral Hemangiomas

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Vertebral Hemangiomas

I don't want post a question but can't seem to figure out how to post a comment so I will just post it under the question forum to share my experience with my vertebral hemangiomas with everyone. I have had severe chronic pain on my T12 for the last 5 1/2 years, I didn't get an MRI until 3 years ago and it showed that I had hemangiomas on my T12 and L1 Lesion, I didn't even know that until last year because I never actually saw the report and the orthopedic surgeon I went to at the time did not even bother to mention to me that I had it, instead he told me that there was nothing abnormal about my MRI, I guess since it is an incidental finding, he didn't feel the need to tell me. The pain got worse and more severe, I did physical therapy, I tried acupunture, I went to a chiropractor that specializes in active release techniques, I've had prolotherapy injections, epidural injections, nothing really worked. My chiropractor ordered another MRI and that was when he told me about the hemangiomas and so I went to request for my MRI reports from 3 years ago and found out I've had it for the last 3 years only now I also have it on my L2 lesion as well as my T12 and L1. Since then, I've been to a couple of Neurosurgeons and a few Orthopedic Surgeons, I've drove all over Orange County ro San Diego to look for a surgeon who could help me but they all told me the same thing, they all kept on telling me that hemangiomas do not cause pain but I just did not believe it, especially since the pain I was having was directly on my T12. I finally found a surgeon at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles that was able to help me and I I think I know why all the surgeons kept on telling me hemangiomas do not cause pain, I think it was because of the location where my hemangiomas was located, it was extremely difficult to get to and too risky so none of the surgeons wanted to take the risk and instead of offering to refer me to another specialists, they tried to offer to do botox injections, or something useless. I even had a Neurosurgeon tell me that he can go to jail if something were to happen so he wasn't concerned that I was in pain, he did not want to risk losing his license or go to jail. My miracle Spine Surgeon that I found ordered another MRI and carefully reviewed it with me, he told me it was in a very difficult location to get to but found a way to get to it so he performed an embolization and vertebroplasty and I am now finally pain free for the first time in almost 6 years, I can have a normal life again. Do not let any Doctors tell you that hemangiomas do not cause pain because they do cause a lot of pain, depending on where the location is. If anyone else has any questions and would like to know more about hemangiomas they can contact me at cds4av.com or if you live in Los Angeles and need an excelent surgeon you can look up Dr. Hyun Bae at Cedars Sinai, I'm sure he can help you.   Tiffany

This discussion is related to hemangioma.