Neurology Expert Forum
Verterbral Hemangioma/Back pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Verterbral Hemangioma/Back pain

I am a 36 y.o L&D RN.  I dismissed my low back pain as "bending over too many patient beds".  My pain is when I am trying to get from a sitting position to a standing position.  Once I am up straight, I am fine for the most part.  On really bad days, I have pain no matter what.  I had a normal X-ray, proceded with Chiropractor, then had an MRI 1 year ago.  It showed mild degenerative facet arthropathy with small disc protrusion at T12-L1. The remainder is normal with incidental note of probable hemangioma of L3(1.2cm).  I tried Motrin, Celebrex and deep tissue massage.  The neurosurgeon said there was nothing to fix, people have pain when they get old and sent me away with some Ultram.  I went to a Spine doctor who has tried Flexoril, Medrol, Lidoderm, and Topamax.  I also progressed from Ultram to Darvocet to Lortab.  A bending X-ray showed no evidence of listhesis, disc narrowing or any acute process, mild degenerative arthritic changes of facets L4-5 and L5-S1.  I had injections into the facets to numb the nerves & relieve the pain.  This did not work.  I tried Physical Therapy. I insisted on a repeat MRI - it showed a 1.5cm lesion in L3 "Benign hemangioma is probably still a possibility but the T1 signal characteristics do not confirm benign hemangioma" and follow-up is recommended with high resolution CT.  Also a sub-cm benign hemangioma in the S1 sacral segment and on L1.  No disc herniation, nerve root encroachment or spinal stenosis. CT scan showed sclerosis of the vertebral bodies T12, L1 and L4.  What test do I need? Who do I see?  Can my hemangiomas cause pain?