Neurology Expert Forum
Vertigo and CNS lupus

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Vertigo and CNS lupus

I have had SLE for 7 years. Have had recent diagnosis of CNS lupus, though. Headaches, facial pain/numbness, neuralgia, tingling, tinnitus etc. HATE the VERTIGO I have. All started when taken off Imuran. Restarted and was confident that the symptoms would go. Did improve for a while, but vertigo comes and goes. Have had it almost permanently for a month now. Been back on Imuran 150mg for 13 weeks now (100mg for 19 weeks). Also take 10mg Prednisolone/200mg Plaquenil.  Take Clonazepam 0.5mg and Dothiepin 100mg for facial pain.  Clonazepam initially prescribed for 'nocturnal buzzing'.  Would increasing this help the vertigo?  Can the Imuran take longer to work? It worked quickly for me the last time I was on it (for SLE myositis) and seemed to control small flare of vertigo/numbness that I had 2 years ago. Is there anything else I can take to relieve the dizziness? Vertigo is caused by possible brainstem/cranial nerve inflammation (due to SLE) not a vestibular disorder. PLEASE HELP. I am so depressed.

Dear Cal:

I am not sure I can offer anything that your current physician isn't already doing.  The vertigo is likely due to your SLE (as you correctly stated).  The autoimmune nature of SLE makes it come and go depending what is triggering the disease flare (which we really do not understand all of yet).  Hopefully the imuran will kick in and begin to reduce some of your symptoms.  Vertigo is a terrible thing to go through.  One thing to try is a scopolamine patch, I would ask you physician about this.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
...I will ask about the patch.
...scopolamine that you suggested.  Would this help with the feeling of 'movement' that I am getting with the vertigo, or just nausea?  I only get slight nausea....I'm rarely sick with it, but would it help anyway?  It's the feeling that I'm 'on a boat'(!) that I loathe.   Many thanks for your time.  I do appreciate it.
Dear Cal:

It would help mostly with the nausea.

CCF Neuro MD
...I will ask my doc for it, anyway.
Let us know if it helped.

CCF Neuro MD
...it is apparently not used a lot in the UK.  My GP hadn't even heard of it!  My pharmacist, however, has heard that it can be quite effective.  Luckily, my vertigo has settled a little at the moment, so I'm saving the patches until it gets worse (fingers crossed that it won't)!!  I will let you know how I get on with the patch, should I need it.  You have been very helpful and, once again, I thank you for your advice and time.
A related discussion, chronic haze was started.