Neurology Community
Vertigo?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Vertigo?

About one month ago I was sitting on my couch and out of nowhere I felt incredibly dizzy (like my brain was swimming in my head) I think this sent me into a panic because I started shaking and went to the ER because I had no idea what was going on with me. The ER folks said it was BPPV o Benign Positional Vertigo. Since then I have had headaches, nausea and this constant sense that I can describe as dizziness but not the kind that makes me lose balance or like I'm going to fall over. It feels more like I am wearing somebody elses glasses and things are distorted and most recently it has gotten worse. It is really hard to focus on things, i feel like my eyes are jumping around and my head and neck ache. My dr. basically thinks I'm crazy and I have an anxiety disorder so she prescribed me medicine for that which is great because I am incredibly scared that this is something serious and therefore do have some pretty high anxiety. So, my question basically is if anyone out there has experienced something similair? if so, what was it and more importantly how do we fix it?! I don't want to sound over dramatic here but this is beginning to take a huge toll on my personal and professional life.

The dr. also ran a few motor skill tests when I asked her for a CT or MRI of my head and she said that she didn't find any reason to give my insruance company to authorize that type of test. She did an x-ray of my sinuses-unremarkable and also bloodwork that found everything to be ok.

Any help I can get would be great, thanks!
Your symptoms are quite common in anxiety disorder.
Make an appointment with a psychiatrist and discus your symptoms and how it's effecting your life.  There is good treatment for this disorder and the psych will direct you on the appropriate treatment methods.
Check out the anxiety forum for more info.
Well, I would think it was just anxiety except i don't have any right now and the way that i feel all the time is like when you wake up and you are hungover but still kind of drunk and your brain feels like it is sloshing back and forth in your head making you dizzy and sick. That makes me think not so much the anxiety. But, hey my Dr. thinks the same thing which would all make sense to me (beings I have a background in treating dually diagnosed clients and all) except that this started before the anxiety and as I type if I move my eyes to one place it makes me want to vomit. Or the immence amount of tightness and pressure I have al throughout my head, eyes, neck and ears. Or the odd pressure and tingling I feel on the inner part of my ear lobe (not my inner ear). All the same, thanks for the suggestion.
Hi tad316.
I would first advise an eye test to see if all is well with your eye sight and the back of your eye is ok.
After that, I would ask for a referral to a neuro.
There are many things that can cause your symptoms, your eyes, your ears. Have the drs checked these basics first? It could also be migraine.
Vertigo is a terrible thing to suffer. Did you get any meds to help with it? Cerc and Stemitil are a great help.

I have IIH /PTC. One of the first symptoms I suffered from was vertigo and pain in my eyes and blurry vision. It is a very rare illness and difficult to diagnose.It took over 12 months to fianally get my diagnoses.
I am not saying you have IIH but something is going on.

A neuro will know what to look for and will be able to put things right for you.
If you feel its not anxiety, keep pushing until some one listens.
Some times, drs tend to label patients with a label of anxiety, depression and look no further for another cause.
I hope things get better for you.Cath278.
Thank you for the info. I think the worse part about all of this is realizing the "dr"you have doesn't believe you and it really dismissive. I am disappointed with the way that this has been handled so far, frustrated. I'm sure you understand as it took 12 months for them to figure out what was causing your symptoms. I've demanded a referral to an ENT so we will see where this all leads. Thanks again!
i hear ya! easter of 2010 was my first vertigo experience it was terrible i had to take a whole week off of work no medicine, tests or doctor visits helped and i too have nothing wrong with my ears no pain hearing loss i passed all the tests..checked that off...thats not the problem., but as soon as it went away all my other symptoms went away as well, however...i had another vertigo attack or whatever you want to call it on the 7th of this month it was bad for a week again but slowly stopped being unbearable (i could only sit up straight my left side was terrible) to this day has yet to fully go away. i can drive and go back to work now but if i look up or down i get a bit woozy and i get headakes everyday like clock work. i went to a ERT doctor he did that lay down and tilt your head thing to me...it did nothing and i still dont have a cure for myself and truthfully all this stuff im reading online about diffrent types of vertigo has enhanced a little anxiety in me also..whats wrong with me?! if some one has a miracle drug or answer...for gods sake give it to me!
Update: My Dr. told me he believes I have eustacian tube dysfunction now. Not vertigo. Why? Well, who knows..I have no stuffiness, allergy symptoms etc. So, he put me on claritan every single day until I see the ENT. Now, I started taking those other meds for the "anxiety" and I thought it was helping, but not so much. So off those. Now, I'm having other weird symptoms left arm feels like my muscle is crawling, I have tingling and burning sensations down my arm and I am always tired. Anytime I get excited, mad or exert myself (bringing groceries in the house) I feel lightheaded and my heart starts pounding hard. Dr. says he thinks I am not sleeping well (who knows where he comes up with this stuff) and that I have pinched a nerve in my neck (unrelated to the pressure and fullness in my ear or the dizzy feeling of course, oh and he only said this after I said I had gone to the chiropractor since I read that a c1 vertebrae being out of alignment can cause all of my symptoms) I am still feeling dizzy, not as bad as it has been but still there. The other issues have me wondering if this could be MS or some type of neurological or hear problem. My Dr. told me that he feels an MRI or CT would be "inappropriate" tests to run. Whatever the hell that means. You have someone who has been dizzy for a month and a half, has weird tingling, burning sensations in their left arm (which is making me have a turrets like twitch because it feels like I have to keep stretching it or it makes me crazy) headache every morning when I wake up and exhausted. Yeah, don't do any tests to make sure it's not cancer or a tumor. WTH?! Anyways, I will know more hopefully next week after the ENT and the Xray of the neck. I'll keep you all posted and please, etravis if you find anything out about what's going on with you, please share. Sometimes these sites are all I have to get some answers.
update: saw the ENT today. He says it's "most likely" vestibular neuritis. Of course, he is not 100 percent sure but has ordered an MRI to rule out tumors or other things that may be more serious. He couldn't tell me if the odd feeling in my left arm is related to this at all (i'm almost positive it isn't). At least I am getting closer to finding out what this awful drunken/dizzy feeling is for sure so I can fix it. That won't be until teh end of the month. I will update then...just in case anyone else is experiencing similar symptoms.
hey tad316, Glad to hear you are making some progress! Best of luck with the MRI! and hopefully, an answer soon.Cath278.
This is not an "anxietyt disorder" and I would respectfully suggest you ask the doctor how many boxtops he sent in to get his medical degree.

There is a superior and inferior vestibular nerve.When there is an imbalance bewteen the signbals vertigo results. Generally this condition is "self-limiting" and takes about a month to resolve.

The imbalance is often due to a viral infection, particularly herpes. In such a case Acyclovir is often prescribed. Antivert (lorazapam), phenergan, and valium are often helpful.

The nerves travel through a very tiny bony structure and if they swell they can become damaged. To reduce the swelling oral prednisone is prescribed. In a worst case a special surgical procedure is used to open the bone to permit the nerve to decompress.

Often this is only in one ear (although the vertigo effects the entire body). Eventually, even if there is severe damage to the nerves on one side, the nerves on the other side take over and normality is restored.
Cath and caregiver, thanks. I appreciate the support. Yes, my Dr. is a real quack...lol. So, I got an x-ray of the neck done which of course came back fine and now I have asked for the MRI of the neck. Since he informed me that the two weird issues are not related and this would be the next step if the x-rays were good. I'm hoping that the MRI will give me more insight into why my arm feels weird and I’m twitchy. I feel like a damn hypochondriac! I spend hours researching what might be causing these things, my gf thinks I'm neurotic (not that she doesn't believe me, she totally does) but I perseverate on whether or not these things are all made up in my head?! You just start to think, maybe it is anxiety? Maybe I'm just overly aware and hyper sensitive and these feelings are all normal? Then, I have a really bad dizzy moment or a body shudder and an arm twitch and I think, nope there is definitely something wrong. So, on to the next test! :-)
This pranayam will help you very much.Start today, and keep a log of each symptom.After 3 weeks you will notice the symptoms getting less.Try to do anulom vilom nearer to 30 minutes to feel the benefit.You have gone through a lot of tests, so this is what you need.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
new symptoms: weak feeling in my legs almost heavy. the last few days my arms have trembled upon waking and throughout the day i feel shaky in my arms and weird sensations all over, almost like a chill or something. Still dizzy/drunk feeling some days that is better some days it is really bad like today. My headache is back today, pressure and super dizzy with all the weird twitchy shaking weak sensations. I don't think that the two issues are unrelated anymore. I have no idea when I am scheduled for my MRI yet either. This is really starting to scare me and take a huge toll on my life. Anybody have the weird shakiness? or have any of the other symptoms I've described?
You need to go to an emergency room immediately. At a teaching hospital.

You have developed systemic neurological symptoms, and among the worst case diagnostic scenario is "rule out spinal meningitis."

I am really torn about giving such advice. Sometimes you "cry wolf" and the ER finds nothing, and one feels foolish.

Generally the drill is a spinal tap as well as lab work and an MRI and MRA.
I have developed hand and arm tremors, have had headaches the last week almost every day that are relieved by excedrin migraine and rest. The dizziness has picked back up and of course with all these symptoms so has the anxiety. I have my MRI on the 19th I'm hoping that the dreaded diseases are ruled out and maybe I can't get back to normal. I'm really wondering if I don't have MS, anyone have any info on MS? My dr. Laughed me off when I asked him but I'm not so sure...
Oh dear, tad, I was hoping that you might be a bit further along by now.
When you have the MRI it will tell a lot. First, the results could come back completly normal, which will be great news!
But, of course, that means they will have to widen the net a bit to look for less cbvious things.

Am I right in saying you are 33 years old? That is a small bit too old for a diagnonses of MS, but not uncommon. The fact that your dr laughed at you when you mentioned it is a good sign, albiet, bad manners. They would be preparing you , gently, if they thought it could be MS.

Try not to fret  or worry too much. I know that is easier said than done, but you are doing everything the right way and are in good hands. When you start to worry, try and put it out of your mind if you can. think about something pleasant. you are really wasting a lot of good energy with worry. And you need to be strong and able for the next few weeks.

Best of luck with the MRI, and keep in touch! I am here if you need to chat. Sometimes, its easier to talk to someone outside the situation. I know, been there! Cath.
Tad - how did the MRI go?  Let us know.  Sometimes I go through the same thing....I know I don't feel well and think that something is really wrong with me.  The doctor never listens and tells me I am fine....but we all know our own body and that something is just not right.  I fully understand what you are going through.

Please let us know what happened, ok?  We are all here for you!

Christine
I had the MRI yesterday and I think it's a good sign that nobody has called me yet. The MRI tech said if something was emergent I would have gotten a call last night. So, I think MS or tumor is eliminated (fingers crossed). My hands still jerk around especially when I hold things and same with my arms. I'm wondering if maybe this is a result of hardcore anxiety and stress due to all the dizziness etc. I have my test to confirm vestibular neuritis Monday morning and I'm really banking on my ENT telling me that is for sure what I have. I continue to feel fatigued and I hav caught a damn cold so the exhaustion is extreme. I just want to be better and back to myself. It makes me feel sad and frustrated becuase I love to be active and for 2 months I feel like I've been completely robbed of my life. I will let everyone know what the outcomes are of all the tests as I know them. Thank you for all the support it definately makes me feel better about my situation.
Hi Tad:  Well I am glad that no one has called you and I am hoping that they get to the bottom of what ails you.  I am a suffering of extreme panic and anxiety and I know how scary it can be.  I suffer from crippling panic attacks that sometimes have me so shaken, I am afraid to do anything.  I too am very tired and worry that the worst is wrong with me.  You are not alone.  Just stress alone can make you so sick and can manifest themselves into physical symptoms that lead you to believe the worst.  I am saying my prayers for you and hope that you get answers soon.  Feel free to message me directly if you need to talk.  Feel better!  Good luck with all the tests.  Please keep me and the rest of us posted!  We're pulling for you!

Christine :-)
Ok well great news, MRI totally clean nothing remarkable whatsoever. I am grateful that the worst fears are put to rest. Now, the Monday vng test and onto a neurologist from there. The jerking/shaking arms and hands along with the going numb in both hands and arms made my dr. Think I need a nerve test so there will be more to come. Thanks so much for the concern, anxiety is by far the worst thing to try and live with but knowing that my brain is clear of disease will hopefully eliminate some of my anxiety.
What great news tad! I am delighted to hear that ,so far, all is good.
What a relief the MRI was clear. That rules out MS doent it?
Best of luck with the nerve test. Hopefully, you will soon find an asnwer,
and one that is easy to fix. Bewst wishes, Cath278
Oh Tad I am so happy to hear this very good news!  I hope this does eliminate a lot of your anxiety!!    Best of luck with the nerve testing.  Please keep us all posted.  You are in my prayers and I hope you get the answers that you are looking for VERY soon!  Thank God the MRI was clear.

Hugs!

:o)
Christine
tad....just a thought.  please ask your nl to check you for chiari malformation.  there is a forum here for it on medhelp.  you might want to pay a visit to see if you think the shoe fits....best of luck to you!
elizabeth
Tad
You are describing my symptoms and what ive been going through for 3 months now to a T.. Minus the trembling hands.. My Doc also told me it was Anxiety disorder.. Along with a psychotherapist. and I was creating my symptoms... Put me on 20 mg of prosac.. Which i had incredibly horrible side affects from.. which added to my dizziness. I weaned myself off that and feel SOOOO much better. but the dizziness is there all day with the pressure in my head. checked allergies (negative) Had a CT (negitory) went to an ENT.. they have done stabilization testing and have discovered that my eyes did react to the testing. they thought it could be BPPV or positional vertigo where Crystals in your inner ear get out of place. But I didn't respond to the therapy for that. So I'm on my way to the neurologist in a couple weeks. Anxiety is a horribly powerful thing. Honestly (weirdly)... I'm glad I've experienced it... I down loaded a tape from I-tunes...A book on tape that helped my get through the anxiety and panic with out the drugs... it's called "Pass through Panic" by Dr Clair Weekes ...Really good stuff. At any rate.. keep posting.. best of luck... Maybe you'll figure out my problem as well... I'll do the same..
Hello everyone,

Well if the shoe fits wearit ! I too have Benign Vertigo DX'ed aprox.4 yrs. ago.
I also have expireanced everything that you all have talked of hear,I'm surprised
Cath did'nt suggest , just to play on the safe side an Opthamologist ( Neuro ) if you can find one,mine is awesome ! I have been through all of this at one point or another.

and way more just in this last year,  Another suggestion JUST a thought,you know you can't ever due enough research.....Look up  ( Pseudotumor ).  Just a thought ...

I have a ENT and have for 10 yrs now,and yes I've needed him.

I also suffer from Anxiety,I beleave because of the unknown,the sx and all the pain,of course ...  I also have felt like a hypochondriac, maybe even alitlle Crazy,It's just the way you feel when being in this postion.Every bit of info helps so good luck
and I hope you find resolution,God knows I'm still looking.

PS... I went back,the way you word everything in your first thread,was everything I felt and it just so happens my DX 6 months ago from all of that was ( pseudotumor) now
revised  and called PTC,IIH,BIH,..   IT'S ALL THE SAME BASICALLY  mommies4
Hi all, yes I believe the clean MRI means no MS. I am happy that all has come back clear so now it's a matter of finding out if maybe something is wrong in my neck that is pinching nerves or something random. I did look up the suggestions and again, the MRI would have most likely shown any abnormalities....i think?! :-) The weird tremors and weakness and drunk feeling are still present but today was a decent day, feel like I'm getting over my cold so that is great. My whole family keeps saying it is probably going to go away as sudden and randomly as it all came on....fingers crossed!!!! :-)
Ok, so I saw the ENT yesterday for my results. I do have some issues with dizziness that can be measured and observed by the test they ran. This of course makes me happy in a way because now it's like I feel like saying, see I'm not crazy!  The ENT basically said I have a virus as suspected and that it could take anywhere from now until a year to actually clear up completely. He also recommended that once I feel better and this has passed that I should go get a shingles vaccine to prevent this from happening again.

He does not believe that the tremors and jerking of my hands along with the shaking in my arms and hands when I wake up are related to the virus. He did say that he was happy that my MRI showed no major infections, tumors, lesions etc. and he thinks this will all just pass but it will take time. THANK GOODNESS!!

My anxiety is gone and I am taking no medication whatsoever and haven't been for weeks now. I feel good about that as well. Next step, onto the neurologist for some testing for the shaking stuff. I'm hoping those tests will all be negative and basically this weird thing will pass over time as well. :-)
Hi,Please present your case to Prof Dr.Gart Nicolson at Autoimmune Disorders(doctor expert)Forum,He will be answering questions for two more days.
Hey tad, great news that you are finally getting somewhere and that you feel so much better.
I am delighted for you.  I know only to well that feeling, when you start to doubt your own sanity! So, altho they have said it is going to a long and protracted recovery, its great news!
I hope all goes well with the neuro. If you need some help with anything,drop me a line. Best wishes, Cath278.
Hi there, it sounds to me like you have """Derealization"""

I have had this for 3 long years alone with constant vertigo spells every few days to weeks! It started off one day at work i had this intense dizzy spell come over me out of knowwhere, then it dissapeared just as fast.

I saw a Dr. he said i have BPPV (The same thing your Dr said).
And then a few months later i started to get the strange "wearing someone elses glasses" as you descibed...and for so long i could never explain what it felt like and i kept telling the dr. i think it's dizziness..but it wasn't until i search long and hard, and then i came across """Derealization""".

The symptoms of  """Derealization""" are as follows:

-spaciness
-a sensory fog
-spaced-out
-being trapped in a glass bell jar
-in a goldfish bowl
-behind glass
-in a Disney-world dream state
-withdrawn
-feeling cut off or distant from the immediate surroundings
-like being a spectator at some strange and meaningless game
-dream-like
"as if my head were inside a Coke bottle and I'm viewing the world through the thick glass at the bottom"

Some causes of """Derealization"""

Derealization can also manifest as an indirect result of certain vestibular disorders such as labyrinthitis and vestibular neuronitis (so in other words it's got to do with the balance organs in your ears.)  However, it's most common causes are chronic anxiety disorders and constant worry.

I have problems with my ears as well as BAD anxiety disorders...
I hope this has helped you a little?
Take care, Sam.

I am 49 yr old female...always healthy...no other health issues  I recently suffered two bad episodes of vertigo (rolled over in bed), felt like the bottom fell out and I couldn't focus my eyes for several seconds (although it felt like a long time). It was VERY scary. I did not know what it was until I searched the web.  I did not feel "right" the 1st time entire next day. 2nd time the "weird" not really here feeling has been w/ me now for 4 wks. Family dr. -> next to ENT dr. -> thought it was BBVP, but tests did not show that to be the case.  He scheduled an MRI which I could not go through with...I don't have any other symptoms, but living in a dream-like state most days is very difficult (especially trying to work full-time).  It is hard to explain to others what this feels like - and you do start to feel crazy (my ID AliceinWonderland is what I am calling this experience).  I have never suffered from anxiety problems and don't believe that is what it is.   I have always been a calm, laid back person.  It is very frustrating because I have read so many things can cause this...from viral (herpes), premenopausal, candida and on & on.  I don't know if I want to go through with the MRI, since I feel I cannot endure it unless I'm put under!  Especially if it shows nothing.  I am waiting to hear back from the Dr's office how to proceed...Just had to write and say it is a comfort to know I am not alone - It is very difficult to stay positive when feeling this way everyday.  Good luck and I hope they figure out what is wrong with you (and me) and everyone struggling with these symptoms.
Do the pranayam described in my Oct 08, 2010 post on this thread, and it will slowly get you out of the ' Alice in wonderland' mode.You described the condition well.
Well, it's been awhile since I have been able to update anything. But, here it goes: The dizziness has been explained by the vestibular neuritis and then I was on to the weird tremors in my arms, hands, legs and now my neck. I have had an EEG and an EMG and my neurologist basically told me yesterday that there is nothing wrong with me. No ALS, Huntingtons etc. etc. She told me whatever is going on is not fatal but she doesn't see the shaking and so there is no shaking. Love it when they tell me I am crazy like I am a hypochondriac even thought other people notice this stuff and point it out to me. The great news is I am well according to all tests. The bad news is, I am still shaking. I guess I will just have to learn to live with it but the anxiety the not knowing has brought will hopefully pass. The dr's all think I have as she put it "found a button and created a coat". Basically I worked myself into having these symptoms because I read things on the internet and assume I have them. I don't know about all that, what I do know is to give people this advice: If you are scared you have something wrong and you fear the worst and get anxiety because of it..DO NOT SAY THAT TO YOUR DOCTOR! The minute you say you are nervous or fearful they will find the little button on their computer and it will say ANXIETY STATE SYMPTOMS. This of course labels you as a nut case which then can effect your ability to pass medical and pysch tests for future employment. Share your fears with your friends and family and places like this not with them. They will dismiss you, invalidate you and tell you that you make things up and not pay attention to the obvious dysfunction occurring in your body. I have hated every moment of this experience and am grateful that it is done for now. As I type my hands are jerking around, bouncing and shaking non stop but hey, I guess I'm making it all up. At any rate as long as it is nothing serious I am a happy person. Thanks to all who have been supportive and good luck to you all in your journeys.
... i have some of the symptoms you have mentioned...  but I was very lucky that my "Fisiatra" went to study heavy metals and sent me to have blood studies (all vitamins, metals, amino acids) which showed my copper level at 247.  I suggest also the nerve conduction studies.....copper intoxication can cause motor neuropathy, among other things.   I believe that the inflammation caused by the copper is the cause of the giant cisterna magna which also causes pain in the head.   Most Doctors don't know very much about copper intoxication and although an MRI might say a normal variant giant cisterna magna, that does not mean it does not cause intracranial pressure and the resulting pain. For two days I have had vertigo whenever my head touches the pillow or when am getting out of bed.  
Hello, I have all the syptoms (symptoms) that you have, the shakes the whole nine, I have done numerous tests, MRIs, scans, x-rays, everything keeps coming back normal.  I am also at the end of my rope with this.  They look at me like I need to be put in a bubbled room.  I have a 10 year old diabetic son who needs me to care for him and instead he's helping me around the house.  I feel like I can't leave my house. My doctor said the shakes are just from the hot flashes that I am getting.  I know it sounds strange but I eat a little bit of something with sugar and put an ice pack under my arms for 2 mins and the shakes seem to stop.  Hang in there and yes I totally agree with you, if you say anything to your doctor they will automatically think you are insane.