Neurology Expert Forum
Viral Infection?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viral Infection?

About two weeks ago I went onto a sunbed.  After getting off the sunbed I started getting a rash.  Everyone told me I had measles.   The next day I developed a headache and fever.  I went to the doctor who immediately put me in hospital under the care of a physician.  They did blood tests for Measles, Tickbite fever and glandular fever, which all turned out negative.  The physician discharge me saying it is a viral infection. The rash is now gone but I am still getting up with headaches in the morning.  Getting up out of bed or bending down and coming up I get a stabbing pain in my head.  Sometimes if I turn my head quickly I get the same stabbing pain.  All the medication given to me is finished, now what?
Dear Tercia:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.  I can't tell.  The period was almost too short for the rash to be caused by viral infection if you picked it up on the sun tanning bed.  If it was due to some virus, then likely you got it earlier.  I would see a neurologist and get a good looking over.  A full body rash is a bit unusual and since your having headaces it wouldn't be a bad idea to get checked out.  Besides the rash and fever, did you have any neurological signs or symptoms?  I would make sure you have a list to take to the neurologist.  Of interest, there are no real treatments for viral infections except for AIDS, Herpes, and Influenza, so what were they treating??????

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Tercia There are many viruses that react to ultra violet rays or sunlight. The tanning bed probably brought it out. As far as Doctors finding viruses forget it. They will make you feel stupid and crazy. You must do your own research.Good luck.
I played tennis just over two weeks ago. I came off the court not feeling too good. The next day 50% of my body ached, mostly at the joints except for a sharp pain in my back around the kidney area - left side only. After two visits to the family doctor, three visits to emergency, two blood tests, two urine tests and an ultrasounds failed to show the cause of pain. The final conclusion is that I have a viral infection plus a severe muscle spasm in my back. The viral infection is almost cleared up, but the muscle spasm prevents me from getting any sleep. Shingles was ruled out. If I situp for 3 or 4 hours, the pain eventually goes away but returns a couple of hours after I lay down. Tylenol#3 has no effect and it only makes me nauseous. I have also tried GEN-CYCLOBENZAPRINE 10MGGPM and a heating pad. I still wake up with the muscle spasm. During the day I'm OK once the pain goes away. I am 52 years old; I have been going steadly to the gym 3 times a week all of my life and I play badminton and tennis a couple of times a week. I've never had a back spasm in my life. Is there anything I can do to prevent the pain from returning when I lay down? Sincerely ...Gerry
Gerry, My fifteen year old daughter has very similiar symptoms. You can read our story under the post viral neuropathy topic on this forum.  After numerous tests she had been diagnosed with a virus - no one knows what.  She also has a terrible pain in her left side, which doesn't subside unless she takes tylenol with codeine.  Drs. tell me it is muscle spasms also but it has been getting worse for the past 2 1/2 months.  We are seeing a neurologist on Friday to see if the virus has caused some type of nerve damage.  I am not sure what they would do to correct this. I will keep you posted if they give us any useful feedback.  

Good luck on finding some answers.

Sue