Neurology Community
Viral Meningitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viral Meningitis

I was diagnosed with viral meningitis two days before Thanksgiving after being sick for three days and four visits to the ER and one to the doctor's office.  I was admitted into the hospital for five days.  The doctor sent me back to work two days later.  My job has been working with me as far as letting me work only as long as I can; however, they are continually asking me how long it will be before I am back to my normal self.  I am a very hard worker so I am struggling with the fact that I am tired after only a couple hours.  I started out working only three hours a day the first week.  I try working five to six hours a day, but some days I just struggle with that.  My job is in retail so I am on my feet and running the entire time I am there.  I am frustrated because I cannot do my job as well as I know I should be doing,  Are there any suggestions that I can tell my employer as to how long before I start getting the energy and strength to do my job?

This discussion is related to Diagnosed with Viral Meningitis / Still have symptoms 7 weeks later.

Im sorry you are dealing with so much stress right now.

Im not sure that anyone would be able to put a timeframe on feeling better. I think this is one of those grey areas where medicine would say, it will take just take some time.

If I were in your situation, I would want my employer to know that my goal was to be back to normal asap. Maybe ask them if they have any suggestions from their end on how to accommodate you during your recovery. Im not sure if working from home is an option but it may help with the fatigue a bit.

Another thought, you could discuss this with your doctor and ask him to write for some adjustment to your work schedule. For example, that you should only work a certain amount of hours per day or per week. He could also write an excuse for you to take a brief time off of work if you think that would help.
Just setting up a quick office visit to talk with him/her about it may help you feel better, and will let your employer know you are doing everything you can think of to get back to full speed quickly.

Other than cutting your hours back (Im guessing you dont wantto do this or you would have already), it sounds like your already doing the best you can.

Not sure if I was much help here, but wish you a speedy recovery in short time.