Neurology Community
Viral meningitis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viral meningitis?

Last days of may 2013 I got really sick, at first had a really awful headache, pain behind the eyes soon fever, not too high, sleepiness(i was sleeping for about 14 hours a day or more), pretty soon I had a very stiff neck and pain on my spine when I was standing or walking, photophobia, I passed out once(the type when everything goes black, and you end up waking up on the floor). These symptoms developed and gradually disappeared within 10 days without any help( I took pain killers, they didn't offer much help).
After that for a week I was pretty good, like nothing happened.
Then I had a pretty rough day and everything started. Extreme dizziness, feeling that I have no energy at all, going to the bathroom and feeling that I did an enormous effort, my heart pumping and I needed to rest just because I used the stairs. Troubles concentrating, depression(only some days), mood swings, two times I had ear ringing, when I had too much of an effort i almost collapsed, occasional tingling on hands or muscle "pain" hands or legs. for a month or so, I had a weird feeling that it is difficult to breath, like I had no muscle to elevate my chest. I went once to hospital, and to two different GP, also I got a heart checkup because of the intense heart pulse when I did something simple. Everything came negative, healthy as a horse as far as they told me. Noone even suggested viral meningitis for two months now that I am still extremely tired. Until I proposed it the last time and they told me I would be dead but okay, I could consult a neurologist.
So, the question: before I go to a neurologist, I should be prepared, cause apparently noone seems to be professional enough to check out all the possibilities(they tell me that the symptoms above, which are present two months now, getting better, some disappeared, but still I try to rest, are a resust of anxiousness, or maybe something psychological and not something physical even though noone tested meningitis)could all those things mean something else than meningitis, and now I am on recovery? how long does recovery take? Am I crazy to believe I went through meningitis at home, okay yes I was in pain, but I was patient and slowly I saw improvement back then, so how should I know I  had to go to a hospital because afterwards noone would listen what had happened? I searched the net, dying from meningitis is a case but most of the cases don't even take medication, so the GP talked nonsense.
What should I do? Wait? all the other exams showed nothing, we are left with the possibility of meningitis back then, or I am stressed out as the doctor said, which is not a case for me since everything is fine for me all this time.
I could use your opinion, and mainly an estimation of how long the recovery of viral meningitis take, maybe I shouldn't consult other doctors for now and simply wait?

Thank you soooo much!
No, may not for meningitis this late, but yes, for stress and anxiety. Your symptoms may be from post viral fatigue, anemia, stress and anxiety.

Hi!
Viral meningitis is not as serious as bacterial meningitis, except in the immune-compromised.  It usually settles down in 7-10 days with most symptoms subsiding even without anti-viral treatment. However, in some cases the symptoms persist because either the virus is strong or the patient has diabetes or HIV or is under cancer treatment. In your case, it could either be a strong virus or underlying diabetes that is causing symptoms to persist, if at all it is viral meningitis. Usually CSF studies are not very conclusive and the diagnosis is either by clinical symptoms or by PCR studies. Treatment is usually symptomatic and in some cases anti-viral medications are given.
Hope this would help in your discussion with the neurologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for the answer.  I would like to point out tha the present situation has not the appearance of meningitis at all, so I wouldn.t say that I am experiencing persistance of the original symptoms as what it seems aftereffects that are slightly getting better and have no resemblance to meningitis. These are: fatigue, trouble concentrating, depression and occassionaly anxiety, headaches very mild, lightheadedness and a general feeling that I am ill or something. These symptoms get a lot worse when I overestimate my powers and get really tired. Then I almost collapse feeling dizzy, tingling in muscles and no energy at all. Rarely i experience ear buzz. As you see none of these suggest i am still having meningitis symptoms. Also i was tested for diabetes, it was not that. Will the doctor test me foe meningitis viruses almost three months later? I am afraid not
stress and anxiety have come along with the present situation, I am a very relaxed person, I am sure that stress isn't causing the lightheadedness and the fatigue I am experiencing.
It is not anemia, I have been tested twice in the past two months.