Neurology Expert Forum
Vision distortion – seeing waves

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Vision distortion – seeing waves
HI

When seeing out of my left eye with or without my glasses the center focus is distorted or wavy./floating.
This only happens when I cover my right eye.

For example if am looking at the center of a straight line it becomes wavy. But everything around it is clear.

I feel no pain

Any thoughts as to what this could be?  
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

In general, monoocular symptoms (occurring with only one eye, with the other eye covered) suggests an eye problem, such as a problem with the retina. Neurologic disorders can lead to visual distortions as well, there are many potential causes including migraines, optic nerve disorder, and even brainstem and brain disorders, but again, the first thing to exclude would be an eye problem. Evaluation by an opthalmologist (an eye doctor) is recommended, with further testing and/or referral to a neurologist as deemed indicated by him/her.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
A related discussion, looks like I am seeing waves was started.
A related discussion, distortion in seeing was started.