Neurology Expert Forum
WRITING DIFFICULTY

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

WRITING DIFFICULTY

I am a working professional with an MNC. I have been working on Laptop for most of the times for past 4 years and do not engage in any writing with hand. For sometime I find that writing with a pen is becoming very stressful. The symptoms of writing difficulty started appearing even before using laptop though these were not very prominent. These days when writing with a pen, the handwriting is not good. Holding a pen with index fingure requires more effort. Sometimes the hand slips while writing with a pen. I am unable to write more than a single page.

Please advise if this is because of disuse and not writing for a long time or onset of any disease.

Regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Your symptoms may be due to what is called writer's cramp, which is basically an involuntary muscle contraction called dystonia, which is task specific, occurring only during writing. The contraction often occurs as writing continues, is sometimes triggered by writing specific letters, is affected by the position of the hand, and is often relieved when writing is stopped. There is no defintive cause for writer's cramp, and in some cases when the symptoms are severe or affecting writing dramatically, injections (of botox) can be made into specific muscles of the hand to prevent the contraction from occurring.

Evaluation by a neurologist, and specifically a neurologist trained in Movement Disorders, may benefit you.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.