Neurology Community
Warm, Weak Feeling in Right Arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Warm, Weak Feeling in Right Arm

Hello, I'm a healthy 28 year old woman.  All of a sudden, after no upper body injuries, exercise, or abnormal activity, my right arm and hand has become a problem.  The entire arm, from my shoulder down to my hand, is feeling extremely strange and oddly uncomfortable.  The sensations are hard to describe.  It's as if a warm, almost numb sensation is present.  Tingling is also present, but not a "pins and needles" tingling.  The sensations could also be considered to be a slight aching.  The arm almost feels "tired out", weak or fatigued, as if I'd been lifting weights (which I haven't).  This weak feeling is especially present in the top portion of the lower arm (the meaty portion).  My right hand is also now falling asleep.  I haven't had any back or shoulder injuries.  I have no muscles out of place. I DO get migraines and cluster headaches.  The cluster headaches are always on the left side of my head and behind my left eye and ear.  As of right now, the symptoms have been around for about 6 hours and nothing has changed.  I've attempted to solve the problem with heat, stretching, laying down (in an attempt to redirect the blood flow), and a hydrocodone pain killer, none of which have made a difference.  I would like to mention that about a month ago, I was rock climbing and fell forward onto a large rock.  My left leg (just below the knee) sustained a scrape the size of a dime, which rested in the center of a tennis ball sized hematoma.  The hematoma became infected.  The doctor cut open the dime sized scab in order to drain the hematoma, as he said the infection would have a greater chance of surviving if the hematoma wasn't drained in addition to taking the antibiotics that he prescribed.  I have been on antibiotics for a month.  The hematoma is still warm at times and hasn't decreased much in size.  It isn't quite as hard as it was and isn't always warm, which leads me to believe it is getting better.  The large, deep opening that he made to drain the hematoma has finally closed up after a month of being covered with triple antibiotic cream and sterile bandages, which I changed twice a day.  The opening/wound is still healing, but is no longer a "hole".  I don't know if this injury has anything to do with my right arm, but just in case the bacteria could be affecting my muscles, I wanted to mention it.  The doctor did state that he thought the infection in my left leg got under the muscle.  I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and hope someone has some insight.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. I would not want to link up the hematoma in your left leg shin with this numbness and weakness of right arm. The trauma that you sustained while rock climbing could definitely have caused some jerk or whiplash injury at the neck, causing these compressive neurological symptoms in your right arm. Consult a neurosurgeon who would advise you an MRI cervical spine for introspection on the possibilities. The local trauma and hematoma on the left leg needs to be reassessed by the surgeon for its infectivity and local and hematogenous spread.
Hope this helps. Take care.