Neurology Community
Weak Respiratory Muscles
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weak Respiratory Muscles

44 year old female/nonsmoker/average weight/no prior health conditions:last year, had pulmonary function test which was ordered to rule out asthma. PFT came back fine except for MVV(a portion of test reflecting respiratory strength) It showed significant reduction  approximately <50. I was at the time experiencing weakness in legs, more in left, shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. Pulmonologist suggested I see a neurologist based on PFT since it showed weakness of respiratory muscles.  I did, and brain and brain stem mri and emg were fine. I was checked for Mysathenia Gravis and I dont have that. Neuro said I did not have MS. So neuro doc said to go back to pulmonologist. I never did since I was feeling better and the symptoms subsided.  A few months ago, had chest pain that came suddenly and shortness of breath. Went to cardiologist-all tests came back fine. Then shortnesss of breath became more of a problem. I would get out of breath eating and couldnt finish a meal. I would wake up at night and have a dry cough for no reason. One night my daughter woke me up and said that it sounded like i was having trouble breathing. Two weeks later,  I was watching TV with family, and felt like I couldnt breath in at all. It lasted a few minutes. I was unable to talk or inhale-its like my lungs were frozen.  The pulmonologist said maybe it was a mucus plug? Second pulmonary function test produced same results as last year. Next pulmonary function test is in supine position and erect postion to see if any difference. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?