Neurology Community
Weakness and dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Weakness and dizziness

I began having balance problems (walking but feeling like I might fall down) last August 2006 - went to my primary care Dr. he told me I had fluid in my ear and gave me some meds, that went away and then I began to have headaches daily for 3 months and then they went away.  I was fine for about a month but then in February 2007 I started feeling weakness and stiffness in my legs and when I walked almost a feeling of un-coordination and that my foot would hit the ground but it would take a second before my leg would be stable and I've had a stiff neck, lower back burning and discomfort and some mild balance problems and fatigue.

Since February I have been to an ENT who tested me for allergies and told me I have level 3 allergies to dust and mold and gave me allergy drops.  ENT also tested me for sleep apnea - said I had a mild case and gave me a mouth piece to wear at night.  I've had 2 sinus CT scans which revealed a deviated septum with a nasal bone spur.  In March I had a brain MRI which came back "clean"/"unremarkable".  I have also been to a chiropractor would told be I have subluxation in my neck and lower back - have been seeing him for 5 months and still have symptoms.

Could it be MS, ALS or a brain tumor?
Hi Tommy,
How are you feeling now?
Diagnosis of a disease is only possible after a thorough physical examination of the patient. I would like to put down my suggestions as insights to your case, but in no means it suggests a final diagnosis. According to your symptomatology, there are quiet a few possibilities as under;
1. Your history of stiff neck with signs of meningismus with associated headache, pain in limbs with mild balance problems suggests a possible diagnosis of Tuberculosis infection. I think you need to review your case with scans for a possibility of infective pathology.
2. Have you undergone any investigations that prove that you don’t have any connective tissue disorder like SLE?
3. MS can cause changes in sensation, muscle weakness, abnormal muscle spasms, or difficulty in moving; difficulties with coordination and balance; problems in speech or swallowing, visual problems, fatigue and acute or chronic pain syndromes, bladder and bowel difficulties, cognitive impairment, or depression.
The initial attacks are often transient, mild and self-limited. The most common initial symptoms reported are: changes in sensation in the arms, legs or face (33%), complete or partial vision loss (optic neuritis) (16%), weakness (13%), double vision (7%), unsteadiness when walking (5%), and balance problems (3%); but many rare initial symptoms have been reported such as aphasia or psychosis.
Your symptomatologies as of now does sound like you are having MS, but there are definitive guidelines, on which the diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis is based. There are definitive lesions (suggestive of MS) on MRI also.
Once internationally accepted criteria’s are satisfied, then diagnosis of multiple Sclerosis can be made.
It is premature and early to talk about Brain tumor.
I think you should reconsider a neurologist and take a fresh opinion.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Thanks for the response -

I did test positive for a TB skin test but when they sent me for a chest x-ray it came back clear - could I still have TB even with a clear chest x-ray?

MRI of the brain back in March of 07 was clear aslo.

I went to see an othopedic surgeon and he is sending me for an MRI of my neck and lower back.      And I'm going to see a neurologist later this month.

I wish I knew what the heck was going on!
It is necessary to have radiological features of TB, but it is not an absolute thing. You can still have TB infection. A course of ATT is worth, further you can see for response to medication started.
Bye.
Bye.