Neurology Community
Weakness on right side of body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Weakness on right side of body

I my right side of the body is alot weaker than my left side. I am unable to smile properly on the right side and my middle finger and ring finger wont go near each other (almost like there is a magnet between them). I also lean towards the right, this was noticed when i was horse riding. It has probably been like this for a few years now but i can't remember when but I started noticing this more about 2 years ago. The last few months I have had an aching pain at the back of my head. I also have started getting my speech mixed up a bit but just saying the wrong word. I also suffer from migraines which I started getting when I was 7 and got them severly when i was younger but get them less often now. May all be connected?
I have been to the doctor's today and they have said that my right side is definitely weaker throughout my body. I have had a blood test done but the doctor isn't sure why it is like that but don't think its anything to worry about.
I was wondering if you are able to give me more idea of what is wrong?

Louise
Hello, I found your story very interesting. I think that you need to have a MRI done on your brain, just to make certain you haven't had a stroke. All the symptoms that you have described def. sounds like you have had a stroke at some point on the left side of your brain, and thats why your right side of your body is  affected. I am no doctor or no know it all, however I had a small stroke myself 3yrs ago, and that is exactly the same symptoms that  I had, beside's my speech was affected more, I studdered a lot when I would talk, plus it really affected my short term memory.I also have a strong history of migraines and was told that the two are related. I was also told by a neurologist that people can have a stroke w/out even knowing that they have, only then noticing the side affects from the stroke. I was only 23 when I had my stroke, and so they done several test and what not, and I can remember MS coming up, so it must be similiar, so maybe you could look into the symptoms of MS too. I hope this helps you and please keep me posted as I am very concerned about you! :)
Thanks for replying you have been a great help, the doctor I had was relatively young so probably wasn't that experienced. I am back at the doctors next week to get my blood test results so will mention this to them. My short term memory isnt so great either but neither is my long term really :/ Hopefully I will be able to get something done about it next week :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Hi there. This could be a hemiplegic variant of migraine headaches. In this one half of the body becomes weak or paralysed mimicking stroke. This can last from a few days to months. the other symptoms are of migraine.
You must consult a neurologist for treatment with drugs like triptans, ergots, midrin. You must identify and avoid the triggers, a menstrual period and decreased estrogen levels could also be associated with causing headaches. Others are bright lights, lack of sleep, certain cheese, monosodium glutalmate, chocolates etc.
Try the over the counter painkillers for the time being. An MRI to rule out a stroke is warranted. Any coexistent hypertension, diabetes etc don’t look relevant to your young age.
Take care.
Hello, I haven't had a chance to get back on here, but I see that you haven't posted nothing in the past few days, and I must say I am a bit worrried about you. Please let me know what you find out at the Doctor this week. I am more than happy to help you, trust me I know what it feels like to be sick and be scared for your life! There has been a many of nights that I went to bed scared and worried if I'd even wake back up the next morning. I know you'll be alright once you find the right doctor to find out what is going on with you. I was thinking, it wouldn't hurt to take a lose dose asprin, it would help to keep your blood from clotting, and could potentionally save your life.. Please keep me posted ;)
Hi, I had my blood test results send through the post. All the letter said was 'You currently need to make an appointment:- for a repeat blood test in 4 weeks time'  There was another piece of paper the wrong way round at the back which I probably wasn't meant to get which shows that I need an investigation for urea + electrolytes. This is nothing to do with why I went in first place because thats for kidneys not brain function. I am probably going to change doctors as there is no mention of me going back to discuss what might be wrong with my body :@. I have had this before when I went because I have a clicky jaw, the doctor I saw said 'I don't know anything about that, let me have a look on the internet for you'.

Don't know whether this is related but when I go up to my mums house I keep forgetting to take my keys with me and after washing up I forget put my ring back on. I did that today after I kept saying in my head 'don't forget your ring' but I still did.

I don't think theres much right with my body lol and could make a really long list of problems if I wanted to but I don't tend to bother with my doctors because they don't really seem interested :/