Neurology Community
Weird cobweb like sensation on left side of face from eye to nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had a weird sensation on the left side of my face for a couple months. Its not tingling or numbness..but like a cobweb is on my the left side from my eye to under my nose. My jaw isnt affected. There are no changes in sight smell taste or walking or doing daily things. Its just plain annoying. I have had blood tests but it shows nothing is wrong. My doc seems to think my nerve in my brain that controls facial sensations..trimenial I think it is..is swollen and has told me to take some ibuprofen. It did help for 3 days, then I started smoking again and it seems to have come back. Is this from smoking cigarettes/marijuana or is this something else? Has anyone else had this weird sensation on the upper left side of their face?
SlG
It does sound like a irritated nerve signal from one of the branches of the trigeminal nerve.  Is there any drooping of that side of your face?  Is your smile lop-sided at all?  Any problem opening that eye? The trigeminal nerve comes out just below the ear and handles the sensation and the facial muscles on each side.  I would encourage you to follow up with your Dr.  If the sensation got worse with cig smoking (which is highly destructive to all tissues) take every measure you can to stop it.

Quix
Could it be Bells Palsy?  Of course I'm no doctor, but my husband had similar symptoms and it was Bells Palsy.
No there is no drooping eyes or lopsided smiling. I havent smoked in over 24 hours and it is lessening. My left ear seems like it is popping on and off. Other than that there are no there are no other symptoms. I was in the sun yesterday and it seemed to go away with the heat and swimming in the pool. I hope all it I have to do is  stop smoking...because I can do that no problem. It will give me an excuse. LIke I said I stopped for 3-4 days and it completely went away.
SLG
I have this condition and I am a non-smoker. I have been having these cobweb sensations on my ears, face, backs of my hands and sometimes on my scalp. No it's not lice or anything really...It's mainly of a night, I first thought it the air-conditioner but many nights with it off proved me wrong.
MTH
I use to smoke alot of marijuana, and then i stopped for some time. Then i started again. I havent smoked for a week then i smoked some kush about 5 days ago. That day i smoked it and after almost 20 mintues pass, i felt a weird feeling on the top of my head like there was something going thru a nerve or something. I kinda panic and had to calm my self down. After that i went to sleep. I dont think it was laced becuz the person i smoked it with did not feel what i felt. The next day and every since then ive been having weird cobweb like sensation on left side of face from eye to nose as well. Ive notice that i itch more and i also feel a weird type itch and tingle on my scalp. My hands and feet also itch as well. Its driving me crazy becuz it is an annyoing feeling. I went to the Doctor today and he said from the examin he gave me he thinks there is nothing wrong. He also said that this could be caused from stress. Im also a hypochondriac so it bothers me even more to think about what im feeling. The doctor prescribed me some pills to take to help with the itching, and he said for me to go see a neurologist. Im afraid i have nerve damage or something. Im trying to stay sane untill i find out whats going on. The person i smoked the marijuana with hasnt been feeling what ive been feeling either. So i know its just me.

Any advice?
I've had the cobweb sensation for some time now. At least 2 years. It comes and goes It always starts out as a very slight feeling, like a hair has fallen on my face. After about 3 days it feels like something is moving across my face, my cheeks, chin, nose and eyes. It sometimes feels like small electrical signals running through my nerves. I itch like crazy too, mostly at nigh. All over my body, my eye then my leg then my back, drives me crazy.  I think it's related to a weakend immune system because I usually get a bout right before I have a cold or the flu and is sometimes followed by a cold sore.
I also smoke marijuana. I stopped smoking and really took care of myself, eating really good, exercising, getting lots of sleep and symptoms stopped. I've had 3 bouts in the last 12 months all when I have had a cold.
I hope this hepls, I would love to know your thoughts.

I w

I'm 42  
Gets   a   cobweb  like  feeling  on   my   hole   face  from  head  to  chin
check   with   doctor no   physical,  reason    was  found, just  to  keep
checking   back, i  also   drift    at   times   when  walking, can   anyone  
give  me   a  hint    of   what   is   about   to  go  wrong?
I could not believe the symptoms that you all have described here were happening to me. It felt like cobwebs or a hair fell across my face after "brushing" it away it didn't dispel the feeling, the other parts of my body start to itch like my legs, back, arms, neck and even my feet and I noticed what looked like flea bites (my mom had cats when I was growing up so I know all about flea bites) anyway I realized something was wrong the itching is extremely unbearable. So after doing a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that what this is is face mites or to be more accurate Demodex folliculorum or Demodex brevis. They are basically the same type of mite however one feeds and lays eggs in the pores or your skin and the other does it in your hair follicles. They have also been called eyelash mites and they live at the base of your eyelashes or in your eyebrows as well as your scalp. This link is a good website for information, not sure about the product; demodexsolutions.com.

Now when I visited the ER today the doctor claims that it is scabies but I know he is wrong; he did not take any samples/scrapings to the lab and my research says scabies does not affect the head, plus my symptoms do not resemble what Wiki shows (pics at bottom of wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies). I am looking at a product from Natursil that is supposed to treat scabies and I want to see if it will treat Demodex too. So now that the ER doctor failed me, and made me wait for over an hour in a little room in a little gown... b-itch!%$; I have an appointment with a "specialist" tomorrow morning and I hope I will not be disappointed.

And oh btw, not wanting to freak you all out or anything but; over 60% of the worlds human population has some type of mite living on them and have had them for years but may not know it or be symptomatic, symptoms can start to appear due to high stress or lowered immune system. And this **** is wicked contagious with skin to skin contact or if you borrow someones hat..etc.

DR
I have this feeling right now, feels like a eyelash or small hair on my left side of my face,eye,ear. I also have a cold sore starting, and I have had little sleep this week !!! So I agree with you, a weakened immune system, due to lack of sleep, not eating right, stress, and a cold coming on. It all means, you are not taking good care of your body. Your body is reacting to this. You are fatigued and have a weak defense system. Get sleep and eat a good meal for the next few days and you will feel better. You are working to many hours and not enough sleep. Your body needs rest.
I have this too.  Did it turn out to be demodex mites?