Neurology Community
Weird feeling in back of head and neck.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Weird feeling in back of head and neck.

The past three days I have been experiencing a weird feeling in the back of my head and neck. It feels like more blood is being pumped into my head via my neck then usual. If i press my hand back there I can feel a vein or artery throbbing. I haven't had any lightheadedness or disorientation. The pressure can also be felt in my ears and the areas are very warm to the touch. MY blood pressure and pulse is normal and I am taking .5mg Ativan a day for anxiety. I quit smoking a month ago and quit taking zoloft (after only 3 weeks use) about a week ago. Is this just another symptom of anxiety or should I get it checked out? It's been persistent for three days but not debilitating. Help!

Sorry to hear about your pain.

I would definitely go and see your family doctor to get it checked out if you need to.  

Maybe it could be neck tension or a stiff neck possibly sleeping the wrong way.

I would definitely try some ibuprofen over-the-counter, maybe an ice compress first to see if that helps.  The muscles in your neck might be spasming causing neck pain.

I hope you feel better soon.

terri
Hi, Thank you for the question. Generally pain in the back portion of the head originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of head pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar pain with sinusitis (sinus with infected mucus) and migraine. If you suffer continuous pain at back of head, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!

Thank you both for the advice. I am not experiencing any pain in my neck or head though. It's only a weird pressure and feeling of blood flowing fast through it. It has been happening a few days.
I have had the same thing, is this a spasm of the artery? When it seems like too much blood is getting through a vein at the back of the neck, it's not pleasant at all.
Hi, Symptoms appears with the depression & anxiety as well. If your doctor has diagnosed it as general anxiety disorder, counseling or psychotherapy, physiotherapy, treating related stress and avoidance of triggering factors by doing meditations/yoga can be helpful in recovering from the condition. Hope this helps.
I have for the last couple of weeks, woke up in the morning with a horrible head ache in the back of my head. So much so, that I have to go lay back down and pray for relief. Eventually, I fall back asleep and a couple/few hours later I wake up and it is better. Not gone, but better. It seems as if it is lingering back there just waiting to come back while awake. Please help! I am a bit nervous about this. Not sure which avenue to take. Also, My ears have been feeling slightly plugged during waking hours. Not sure if there is any connection.
i had the same feeling but i also get an numbness or weakness on let arm and leg, and these symptom seem to only appear during the warmer seasons
No, that doesn't help.  You're an idiot.  Do you even understand the question?