Neurology Expert Forum
Weird foot numbness, any help?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Weird foot numbness, any help?

About a week ago one night I noticed that the right side of my left foot, in the area just infront of and partially on my ankle went numb. If I touch it I can't tell where I feel it but if I run like a piece of paper over it I can't feel the paper touching my skin. The size of the area isn't very large, maybe one to two inches squared but it kinda feels like it's creeping up my leg slowly, although that might just be paranoia. I had no clue what could have caused it but then I remembered it could have something to do with sitting down with my legs folded for a long period of time (couple of hours) which occurs when I attend lectures at my mosque. Is this kind of thing serious? Should it have gone away by now? What should I do about it? Thanks for any replies ;]
Based on your description this area of numbness could be within the area of either the peroneal or tibial nerve. The peroneal nerve can be injured with leg crossing for prolonged periods of time. You should see your primary doctor to start with. Then perhaps a consultation with a neurologist can be arranged. When a doctor examines you they will try and determine if this a problem with a nerve in the leg or in the spinal cord (for example a disc problem). Then either a MRI or a EMG test (measures muscle and nerve function) can be completed to finish the evaluation. Good luck.
I forgot to mention, I'm a male, 16, about 6 feet tall and about 135 pounds if that's any help.
you know i have the same thing but in my ankle and it's so annoying, but i don't have a clue what it could be either.
i have had numbness and pain in both feet for a couple years....had a nerve conductivity test done.....diabetic neuropathy....treatment is neurontin....helps for the pain but does nothing for the numbness.
I hurt my back on 12/3/04.  A week later the top of my right foot went numb.  I saw and internest and a neurologist.  The both said I have nerve damage and to wait and see if it corrects itself. I also have foot drop. I have to wear boots to keep my right foot from dropping down when I  walk.  On Friday 1/2/04 I went to a specific chiropractor.  He took xrays of my back and scanned my spine.  He sais there are some things wrong with my back.  Has anyone had anything like this?
Did it correct itself?  Did anyone see a chiropractor?
I would appreciate any info.