Neurology Community
Weird nerve tingling, one side of finger

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm not sure if this post belongs in this area, but I figure it's a start.  If anyone has a suggestion as to where else to post this, please let me know!

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a problem with a finger on my right hand...whenever I ran an edge of a cupboard along the side of my middle finger, grabbed something, or used my hand to push the lever of the La-Z-Boy into position, the side closest to my ring finger (the center knuckle & also the knuckle closest to my hand) gave me *exquisite* (painful!!) sensation.  BIG time pins and needles! The very uncomfortable sensation lasted about a minute.

Within the past day or two, a new thing!  When I press in a certain area on the palm of my right hand--when I am using the electric mixer to make cupcakes--I get a weird tingling sensation too.

I've had a decompression of the medial nerve due to carpal tunnel syndrome, but that was over 30 years ago, and this feels nothing like that!  

It's as if that area is raw, exposed nerve when something hits it the right way!  At other times, no pain, no ache, no tingling in it, and I can type and write without any fine motor involvement.

Any ideas, input, suggestions would be much appreciated!  Please help if you have any kind of a guess or experience.

Thanks!
Sparkly

Tags: Finger, tingling, nerve, one side, Pain, Helping, help, he hurts please help, worried
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You need to rule out vitamin deficiencies like B12 and D. MRI neck needs to be done to check for any disc issues like degeneration and prolapse, bony spurs etc causing compression radiculopathy. Hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis need to be excluded. MS is a chronic demyelinating disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI in addition, a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Hope this helps. Take care.
Pay attention to what seems to trigger it.  Sometimes a computer mouse is to blame for hand symptoms.  Resting your wrist to use it or lifting a finger to use a mouse wheel can cause problems.  But it could be something like a ganglion or sebaceous cyst pressing on a nerve, I suppose, or something pressing on nerves of the spine.  Get it checked.  
Thank you both for your replies, but Dr. Sharma, now I'm scared sh*tless!!!!