Neurology Expert Forum
"Wet feet" sensation in 83 year-old

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

"Wet feet" sensation in 83 year-old

My 83 year-old dad continues to experience feeling that his feet are constantly wet.  He has a host of problems has has had for many years -- a blocked inferior vena cava, deep vein thrombosis, and tricuspid valve regurgitation are most notable.  He is on a severe sodium-restricted diet, wears support stockings, and is fairly active.  He has been tested and told that he does not suffer from neuropathy.  He is desperate to maintain his fairly-active lifestyle.  What can we do to help him?  Any recommendations on doctors, further tests, etc. would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor,

It sounds like your father has been suffering from a sensation as if his feet are wet. You mention that he was told it was not a neuropathy. It sounds like he has a lot of medical problems. Without the ability to review your father's medical history and examine him personally, I can not provide you with a diagnosis nor suggest treatment for his symptoms.

One thing that comes to mind when you mention symptoms of the feet feeling wet is a small fiber neuropthy. There are 2 types of nerves in our body, large and small. The small nerve endings supply the skin and sweat glands. There are two types of sensory neuropathy: small fiber and large fiber (depending on the size of the nerves affected). With small fiber neuropathies, the EMG/nerve conduction studies (NCS) (tests done to check for neuropathy) will not show an abnormality, and a definitive diagnosis can only be made with a skin biopsy so that the number of nerve endings can literally be counted. There are other tests of the function of small nerves that can be ordered, such as QSART testing which looks at how much sweat the skin makes, since sweating is in a sense of function of these small nerves. There are several causes of small fiber neuropathy, including diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, autoimmune problems

If sounds like your father has some vascular problems too, and that might account for some of his symptoms. Other possible causes, depending on the description of his symptoms and his physical exam findings, include spinal canal narrowing or other spinal cord/column problems..

If he has not been evaluated by a neurologist, this may benefit him. He can be worked up for small fiber neuropathy and perhaps be offered treatment for his symptoms; if his symptoms are determined to be neuropathic (resulting from nerve problems such as neuropathy), there are specific medications which are helpful for those symptoms.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
I have the same wet feet sensation or should say did have. I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy via biopsy. My neurologist got it taken care of and I have been moslty symptom free. I had been to 4-5 doctors and neurologists. I continuted my quest for a solution I came across a wonderfull neurologist and in 2 months he had me feeling good.
On boththe wet feet sensation and pins needles n my legs and hands. Try another doctor if you are not satified with them.