Neurology Community
What are Multiple Discrete Foci?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What are Multiple Discrete Foci?

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage july 07. It has left me very tired and  depressd &week sleeping sometimes 17 hours a day.I reciently had an MRI That shows Multiple discrete Foci of increased T2 and inversion revovery signal are seen scattered within the subcortical and... [More] deep white matter of both hemispheres.. I don't understad what this Foci is.
The question was asked Hypertensive--answer no  Also asked a history of underlying Vasculitis-- answer--unknown. My question is -- what are these foci, and what will they do to me. Can this lead to Alzheimers disease. My Father and Grandmother died of Alzheimers.
Thak you for you answer in advance
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi.

These are very non-specific findings and can be caused by serveral conditions.  

The most common conditions would be those affecting the blood vessels such as the hypertension, high blood sugar, vasculitic syndromes, or high or uncontrolled blood cholesterol levels.  From your previous history of subarachnoid hemorrhage, it is likewise possible that some blood vessels at the base of the brain were affected by the blood accumulation.

Another possibility is that of demyelinating conditions such as MS.  These findings are too non-specific to tell if this is alzheimers or not.  I recommend that you continue to follow up with your neurologist and report to him or her, anything new that you may experience.

Regards.
Blank
Are these Foci like little scars? Blood clots? What affect can they have on my brain in a day to day situation? Forgetfullness? Headaches? memory loss? Over sleeping? Tiredness? Will they go away on their own?
Thank  you
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank