Neurology Community
What can I do to stop being dizzy headed?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am 24 years old and I just started getting dizzy headed like 6 months ago. I haven't had any problems from it. My left side of my head hurts ever so often I think it might be from my bad teeth. I also have ringing in my ears i don't know if that has avything to do with it. Every time my head starts getting dizzy/light headed I have anxiety attacks like some bad is going to happen from it. Since this is been happening I started eating more and gaining weight. I eat cause it helps me when I get light headed. I don't have diabetes. Now all I do I stay in my room. I eat by myself. I don't like to be around people cause what they might say or think. I go out in public but don't like to stay long cause I start having anxiety attacks and start thinking people are staring at me and saying things about me. I start getting hot and sweaty and have to step out side get some fresh air. I also can't stand still and I move around a lot. I start bending up and down. I think I also have social anxiety too. I want to work but don't cause I might get dizzy/light headed and start having anxiety attacks. I don't even drive because of this problem I have. I use to work all the time and go out in public with no problems. I loved going out and doing stuff. I don't know what happened to me, I want to know what I can do to see why I am getting dizzy’ light headed and if there is some thing to stop it from happening again and never come back. I never had this problem. Would going to a head doctor be a good idea? I also want to know why I started getting anxiety attacks and how I can stop it completely. I know I might get it from being dizzy headed and gaining weight. Please help me cause I want my life back to normal. I don't want to be locked in my room and not come out. I want to have a family and I can if I can't find away to fix these problems. If anyone can help me please do. Thanks.
I have experienced bad anxiety and vertigo as well.  These can be things that are caused by underlying conditions, but my physician gave me Ativan for the anxiety and it is working like charm.  You need to consult your doctor.  It sounds like you are doing like I did.  When I got the real bad spells of vertigo, I would start to panic and the anxiety would kick in.  It made me sick and was very disabling for me.

Positive self talk goes a long way.  You need to tell yourself that you are a beautiful person and that you deserve nothing but the utmost respect from everyone.

I too quit driving over 2 months ago due to the vertigo.  I am able to drive now that I take the Ativan.  It seems to have helped that.  I could not go to Walmart without getting motion sickness from walking down the aisles.

Go to the doctor young lady.  There are things that are available to help you through.
I don't know if you still are a member and will even read this but I felt I had to comment incase you do read this. Your dizziness may be caused by more than one factor.  You may have a viral type ear infection that is causing dizziness OR it may be from anxiety OR both.  I hope you have seen a doctor by now atleast for the head pain and ringing in your ears--that condition could be more easily treated.  If it is anxiety related which it absolutely appears to be also, I really recommend a mental health agency.  It sounds like you may have not only an anxiety disorder but panic disorder too.  The reason people have panic attacks or even bad anxiety is because they have an excess off norepenephrine in their brains.  Therapy with a licenced mental health councelor can help manage SOME of the anxiety, but more than likely, you will need medication to counteract the excess amounts of norepenephrine you have.  There are wonderful medications out there that work well but you must see a professional.  I am 57 and have anxiety disorder and have had severe panic attacks where I could not leave home also!  However, the medication has made a world of difference.  I still fight dizziness on a regular basis, but the panic attacks are gone.  You CAN have a family and a life worth living, but you must first get the help you need. I wish you all the best!!
Hi, Thank you for your question. Most likely possibility in your case could be a panic or anxiety disorder that you have faced during last event and currently experiencing. Cause of such panic disorder mostly remain unknown but in this disorder you may feel symptoms like shortness of breath, feeling of choking, pain in the chest, nausea, stomach ache, feeling dizzy, tingling or numbness, chills or hot flashes, bounding heartbeat or fast heart rate, sweating, shaking etc. even without any underlying disorder. This disorder needs to be thoroughly assessed by a psychiatrist first since this can occur repeatedly and without warning.  Treatments may include psychological and drug treatments, and depend upon extent of severity of symptoms. Most commonly psychological treatment tried is counseling, relaxation techniques and sometimes cognitive behavior therapy. ************** depends upon treating the underlying depressive illness through anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medicines.  In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet, regularly exercise and avoid taking unnecessary non prescription drugs to avoid recurrence of symptoms. Hope this helps!!