Neurology Community
What causes a cold sensation to one side of the head?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have this cold sensation on the left side of my head, it doesn't hurt, sometimes it feels like water trickling and sometimes it feels like cold air is lightly blowing on my head, it seems to follow a linear patter ( like it may be a nerve issue?).  I do have a current sinus infection/allergies and fluid behind both eardrums, the doctor didn't seem real concerned with this sensation and said people get funny sensations all the time with their nerves.  This has been going on for a week now, I did have a couple days that I didn't notice the sensation and it also seems to be more pronounced when I think about it ( I have anxiety/panic attacks).  This did happen about 5 years ago as well and I was also congested with sinuses/allergies at that time but not as bad as this time.  I have sinus and allergies issues during the last 5 years but have only had this particular sensation 2 times with it...could it be something else?  I had a CT of head 2 years ago.was normal and also my regular checkups for bloodwork is normal.  Should I get an MRI or just forget about this sensation?  I also had a root canal upper front tooth 2 weeks ago, didn't that would be related?  Anybody with any knowledge regarding this type of sensation please advise!  
I get those feelings too. I often associate it with anxiety and stress, as I too get anxiety and panic attacks, and notice these symptoms after days or weeks of prolonged stress. Also, cold strands of hair can cause this feeling, making me think it is inside of my head, then I feel around my hand to find a cold section of hair (possibly due to the air) that causes this sensation, as the hair is placed close to the scalp. Sinusitis and other colds and flus can also cause this symptom due to post nasal drip and can cause a "cold, wet feeling in the head"

More than likely, it is due to one of those 3 factors: post nasal drip, anxiety, or a cold section of your scalp or hair.... people with dysautonomia and panic attacks get them more frequently, and it can also be a bodily reaction to prolonged / acute stress. I have had these symptoms during some of my full blown out panic attacks, so I try to just ignore them or decipher if it is indeed from stress or maybe just a cold spot. I would not worry too much about it unless other symptoms also develop due to it. I had a friend who used to puke simply from a lot of stress, and blood would even ooze from his ears. He is a more severe case, and should go to the doctor... but he refused to. I am no longer in contact with said individual, but the point is.... is don't panic. Relax and access the situation first. If you are fine otherwise, and feel healthy, then do not look into it too much. But if it concerns you that badly, go see a doctor. They can give you a CT scan to rule out any other possibilities. :)

~Crystal: a woman who has suffered years with stress/anxiety/panic
CORRECTION:: MRI, I just read that you already got a CT scan
I also suffer with sinus and anxiety but both are pretty much under control at this time. I have been showing signs of cold side of my face for the last 4 months....I've also been trying to pin point when it occurs...so far it seems when I have my glasses on it occurs..now I have to wear my glasses full time so I can see...I noticed that it doesn't happen when my glasses are off through the nigh or when I put my contacts in. There is a definite pattern. I have adjusted my glasses every which way to try to relieve any pressure on my ears or my nose. So far I haven't found relief from that ( my glasses are titanium and rimless) ...only when they are off my head. I don't know if it's a reaction from the metal or not but if you wear glasses I would test it.

Janice