Neurology Community
What causes disease of the pons?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What causes disease of the pons?

I had an MRI and it showed multiple changes in the pons and lesions.My family doctor said he has never seen this before and wants me to go to a neurologists.My symptoms are a severe stabbing pain in the right side of my head and now pains on the lower left side of the head. What can this be and what treatment would be best?

What kind of changes was seen in the pontine region?
Central pontine myelinosis is one of the causes but it is usually accompanied with horizontal gaze paralysis.
Other causes can be MS, and vascular lesions due to atherosclerosis. Pontine gliomas which are brain tumors can also be seen as lesions in the pons.
Please consult your neurologist as soon as you can as only after a neurological examination that a diagnosis can be made. Take care!

I saw a neurologist today and he said that there are nonspecific subcortical white matter changes with significant disease of the pons suggesting a small vasculopathy for which more testing was needed so am havind a MRA and had blood work done such as a sentendation rate and some othere blod work I guess to check out the blood vessels and flow of the blood. He said I was having migraines and lightning headaches also and said to stay on midrin for the migraines and try indocin for the others. He feels this is because I suffer from hypertension and high cholestrol and he siad most people who have those 2 things end up with something like this. So you feel he is on the right track? I am still concerned. Thanks for youe help

The MRI findings suggest a vascular lesion. This lesion could be a result of blockade of cerebral blood vessels. Since you already have two risk factors like hypertension and high cholesterol, these changes are not unusual.
Also migraine which is a vascular headache can produce similar changes in the brain.
I think you are on the right track at the moment. Please continue your follow up with your doctor. Also please take care that you’re BP and cholesterol remains within normal limits with dietary control and medications. Take care!

Thanks so much for your advise and explaining this to me more clearly. I will continue to watch the BP and cholesterol and will have the MRA and blood testing to check out the blood vessels. You have been a great help!