Neurology Community
What could my diagnosis be? - Front thigh/groin pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

After being an avid active young person in my 20's, I ran, did spin classes, jumped rope, but never really warmed up or streched properly.  Back in 2005 out of the blue I got a horrible pain in my front thigh.  Almost can't explain, front thigh/outer thigh/groin area.  Lots of weakness due to any moving I would get excruciating pain.  Doctor's told me to ice it.  It helped some and could finally walk but with a limp due to the continous pain and also restriction of not being able to bring my right thing inward or outward without pain/restriction.  Long story short, currently after many xrays, mri's, cat scans, flouroscopys, emg's, chiro's, pt, a cyst in my proximal femur was found.  Had to be taken out because it was at the head of the bone and my hip was in jeopardy of breaking.  We thought we had found the pain culprit but after 3 days in hospital and 6 weeks home, pain was still there.  Doctors threw their hands up in the air.  reasearched on my own and it's brought me to neurology.  Just recently saw a doctor and says I have "femoral nerve palsy".  Doesn't sound right to me and what I essentially want is to get Kaiser to refer me out of network for a Neurography.  Invented by L.A. Neurosurgeon Aaron G. Filler, it specifically tests for any and all nerve issues.  Recent doctors don't realize the importance of this test and how it can finally tell them and me what is wrong and how to fix it.  Help!  
  • cysts (1 replies):
    I had severe back pain, in April 07, a result of struggl...[more]
  • cysts (3 replies):
    im 53 had a mri and it showed i have 2 cysts and 2 disk ...[more]
  • hip pain (1 replies):
    t a sharp shooting pain in my hip and leg after a good n...[more]
  • neck lesion (1 replies):
    i recently had an mri on my neck,my Dr. said i have a co...[more]
  • Strange symptoms
    I've an age old problem, but with a twist and am very fr...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. In the plethora of investigations that you have undergone, was an MRI  lumbar spine done for you? The pain in the thigh could be because of nerve root compression as a result of intervertebral disc prolapsed since you have been so physically active. Rule this out with a clinical examination done by an orthopaedician. A lot of investigations have been done for you and come inconclusive, so the femoral nerve damage as a consequence of the cyst surgery also needs attention. A nerve conduction study would be fine for that.
Take care and all the best.