Neurology Community
What could this be?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What could this be?

Last April, during a stressful time in my life, I began to have very strange symptoms. At first, I would just start to feel a little strange, light-headed maybe, shaky, a funny taste in my mouth. It seemed to happen every day, but was mild and only a little concerning. At one point though, I had an intense episode in which I left work in an ambulance. Subsequent tests (blood work, lymes, celiac, ekg, thyroid) revealed nothing. I was told it sounded like anxiety, was prescribed lorazepran -which I take only as needed- and began seeing a therapist. Since then, the "terrible thing" happens every day. It typically begins as soon as I'm upright in the morning and starts as a dull pain in my left foot, with the sensation that something's flooding my whole body. I tremble deeply inside, my voice shakes, and I have trouble texting, speaking, or writing. It feels as though blood is rushing very fast through my arms, and there's a weakness in both arms and legs, though mostly my hands, which can begin to feel as though I may not have the same control over them as usual. I often feel the need for a BM, even if I recently eliminated. At the end of the episode, my eyes burn and my legs feel sore inside from the knees down. Sometimes my other hand will start hurting in the middle of the palm. There are occasional spots of brief pain in different locations, though otherwise no real pain or headaches present (knock knock). The main symptoms, seem to be the overall trembling and perceived weakness in my hands, both of which can be terrifying. It happens every day and lasts for an hour or several. I'm scheduled with a neurologist in a couple weeks. I'm a 44yr old woman in otherwise good health. Anyone have any clue as to what this could be? Are there any other specialists I should be looking into? It can be such a long wait to see one. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Also, and I'm not sure if this is related, though it began about the same time, if I am thirsty and drink a glass of something cold too fast, my heart starts pounding out of control to the point where I have actually tried to get help from a mall worker, asking if they had a nurse on premises.

Sometimes, with the episodes, there're heart palpitations and a not unpleasant burning feeling inside and at different locations in my body.

All of these symptoms together make it very difficult to work. I am a single parent with no real safety net, so I have to work everyday.

Anyway, thanks again.
It sounds like anxiety to me. I just put up a post because I suffer also. I am scared I have ALS. The worse thing I could do is google symotms... I have twitching trembling and even like a tingling sensation in tongue and of course as I worry they all increase. I'm 27 and a m of 4. I'm always afraid I'm dying. I have had Evey test just about and always normal. I'm petrified they are missing something and I'm going to find out when its too late I'm dying. Again... I know i sound crazy... It sounds insane. Anxiety is capable of causing irrational thoughts and makes u feel real symptoms... And the more u worry and the what its occur the more we get the symptoms and they become stronger and often other symptoms accompany the existing synptoms. Its easy to give advice and I can't take my own...y symptoms are on going. I have IBS whcih anxiety makes u have a lot of BM and the trembling is nerves. And no u don't have to be nervous when the trembling comes on. Also the surge thru ur arms and legs is u not breathing right... When that happens breath in through your nose count to 7 and then hold for 7 and blow out slow out of ur mouth for 7. Repeat 2 or 3 times. And u will feel a little light headed but it is short lasting and u will feel better. I also get palpations sometimes and then for some reason I burp and it help ... But it makes my heart race until I burp. I take lorazapam as needed and I thank God for it. Anxiety is so powerful and I'm praying that's whats making me so messed up.
Sorry for all the typos. I am using my cell and its not the best. I'm going to try magnesium also. Over 90% of the population is magnesium deficient and the symptoms are dreadful. It wouldn't hurt to try a magnesium supplement. Look up symptoms of magnesium deficiency. By the way blood tests are not sufficient for magnesium. Magnesium is also in your rushes and muscles. Blood is only 1%. My blood test for magnesium was normal but you can't go by that. I contacted to pharmacist and she actually said it sounds like A great idea to try magnesium
Magnesium is in your tissues*** not rushes. Phone issues!

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, as well. It's just too unreal to imagine it could be anxiety. It doesn't happen when I'm laying down, only after I get up in the morning or a couple hours later. It's so strange, and I share your anxiety over it. My foot starts hurting and I know I'm headed for the terrible thing that happens. The rare days it doesn't happen, I feel like a million bucks, like I have my life back again. If the cause does turn-out to be anxiety, I'll actually be really relieved.

Now I'm really sorry I googled ALS. Does this run in your family? I think it's pretty rare, otherwise.

I actually did begin Mg supplementation a month or so ago, after having stopped last spring (which coincided with the beginning of these symptoms, as well as with the fact that I began buying reverse osmosis drinking water which I have stopped for two months now, after reading drinking it could cause mineral deficiencies). I'm now taking 200mg morning and night, in addition to the 50mg in my food-based multi. I'm hoping for the best for both of us. Please keep me updated and thank you for your thoughts.