Neurology Community
What does this mean?? Abnormal MRI 20 yr old male

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi all...

Very new to all of this and searching for some answers as we have NOT been able to get any from our dr's..

My son is 20 and has been showing some signs of behavioral changes since his senior yr in high school.. Along with visual disturbances and head aches. I have been pushing for a MRI for a long time and was finally able to convince his dr to get one...

Here are the findings and I am even more confused now as to what is going on.? Is it multiple schlorisis? Or strokes? Or something else all together..??

The Impression part of the MRI is as follows:

1. Small focus of diffusion restriction and abnormal T2 signal in the precentral gyrus near its vertex of the brain suggestive of actue ischemia. Please correlate clinically.

2. One or two additional small area of T2 prolongation also in the right precentral gyrus consistent with most likely chronic microvascular ischemia; however , other differential considerations include vasculitis and demyelination.

The Findings were: 1mm focus of diffusion restriction corresponding to the right precentral gyrus with concomitant T2 prolongation measuring 1 mm. There are additional one or two small punctate foci of T2 prolongation also int he right centrum semiovale. There are no blooming artifacts on GRE. The remaining brain parenchyma is normal. Flow voids at the skull base are normal. There is no evidence for abnormal enhancement of the supratentorial and infratentorial brain parenchyma. The calvarium is normal. There is no evidence for abnormal enchancement.

ANY help would be greatly apprectiated at this point. He seems to be heading down hill even more lately and I can't get him any help????
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your son’s medical problems. Any ischemic affliction of precentral gyrus can cause weakness of one half of face or body. It is less likely to cause headaches with vision problems or behavioral changes. Since your son has behavioral changes it is important to get complete psychiatric evaluation. Also, it is important to rule out migraine, benign intracranial hypertension, and eye changes. Please discuss all these possibilities with his treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.