Neurology Community
What effects does lessions of the brain stem have?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

i was diagnosed w/ MS about 1 1/2 year ago. I have 5 inactive lessions on the left side of my brainstem. The memory/cognitive issues are over bearing for me. I have asked my Neurologist what parts of my body would be effected by the damage that has been done, and she is very vague. Not giving me specific details. I think to she is trying to help me not look for more things wrong with me. But I am only looking for explanation of why I am doing and having some of the problems I am. I also have asthma and RLS, which developed after the MS. All of this began after an auto accident where I substained a neck and back injury. Is it possible for you to tell me what parts of your body/functions the left side of the brainstem could effect you or what it controls.
Avatar n tn
Hi Ang,
How are you feeling? How old are you?
I don’t know I feel I may sound blunt in telling you the correct picture about Brain stem dysfunction.
It has got most of cranial nerve nucleus present and hence it relays information to the body.
It also controls most of the vital functions of body like breathing, heart rate, swallowing, control of sweating, blood pressure, digestion, temperature, alertness level, hormone balance, ability to sleep, and the reflexes of sight and hear of a person's body.
The brain stem helps in managing blood pressure, in memory and in circulation and also helps with the mood. The brain stem helps with pain; it balances and strengthens postural muscles, and helps with lower back pain.
It basically helps person to stay alive.
I am sorry if you feel I sounded blunt.
Bye.
Thank you so much for being honest with me. I have experienced everything you mentioned other than the blood pressure, at one time or another. Will this type of damage have a major effect on my memory? I used to be the brain of the family. I now can't remember how to get home, or pay my bills, pick up kids from school. I have had to leave my job as a mail carrier of 10 years because of the cognitive issues. Today was a pretty good day. I never know from day to day. I think that the fatigue is what gets me the most. I am 33 years old, diagnosed at 31. Thanks, again.
Avatar n tn
As a physician it makes things difficult to confront patients with critical counseling.
Yes indeed you are right in thinking that brain stem lesion would affect your memory too.
I think you should discuss with your PCP regarding a drug called Aricept. This should be started only on prescription of your treating physician. It is used for treatment of Alzheimer’s, but is helpful for short term memory loss.
Aricept is a drug of choice to treat Alzheimer's, but its use is not restricted. It has been observed that Aricept improves cognition and function, which includes effects on memory and performing everyday tasks, hence it would have been prescribed.
The effect of memory is exerted through one such chemical called acetylcholine. This chemical helps carry messages from nerve cell to nerve cell in the brain. Memory is lost by disrupting these messages between cells.
It is thought that Aricept may help reduce the breakdown of this chemical.
Hope this helps.
Bye.