Neurology Community
What is a doctor looking for when he/she order the removal of fluid fro...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What is a doctor looking for when he/she order the removal of fluid from the back/spine area

Hello Doctor:

My mother had suffered a fall over three years ago and had not be able to walk.  I obtained a mobile chair for her convienence.  I spoke to some professionals who advised me that she had suffered a fracture, this fracture was overlooked and was not treated for over three years.  After my intervention, she has been visiting various doctors for tests and many have prescribed medication. Nevertheless, her doctor advised that she should be able to walk but she has not.  I have tried to maintain a healthy nutritious diet.  A few weeks ago she had to visit a doctor for a test, this test was to remove a watery fluid from her back.  I was with her when she had the procedure done.  This fluid, according to the doctor, is to find out why she has not been able to walk. (tests?) My mother is overweight but not over 300 pounds.  She is the only member of her family, she has two older sisters and two older brothers that are all within a health weight and none have suffered this dilema.  My mother had 6 children and has always been an active person in good health before the fracture.  I should note that all her other tests are positive, so there is the big question what is going on and why she is not able to walk.  Yesturday, she told me that she could not get out of her bed and I had to call the EMS to take her to the emergency room.  I told want to say anything negative about the removal of the fluid from the back, but she has only gotten worse after said procedure.  Help.  From Miss English
Hi Dear

Removal of fluid from the back is called lumbar puncture. The watery substance removed is the cerebrospinal fluid which exists in the brain and spinal cord. The analysis of cerebrospinal fluid is done to diagnose certain disorders that affect the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) including viral and bacterial infections, multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barr syndrome (an inflammation of the nerves) etc. Hence, this test was conducted to ascertain some cause of your mother not being able to walk, and this definitely is not the couse of worsening of the condition.

Please get in touch with your doctor and find out if some diagnosis has been formed based on analysis of cerebrospinal fluid.

Best..