Neurology Community
What is a midline shift ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What is a midline shift ?

My Last MRI noted Midline shift
from right-to-left has increased by approximately 2-3 mm relative to
the prior study. There is no specific evidence for herniation at this
time.

No clue what that means.  I do like the no evidence for herniation, even though I don't know what that means either?  Any layman term help on this?

Any rise in intracranial pressure due to some space occupying lesions within the brain may result in the brain shifting to one side. This is due to a lack of space because of the presence of the massive swelling. Midline shift can compress the ventricles and lead to buildup of CSF. It may also lead to brain herniation , where the brain is squeezed past structures within the skull into the spinal canal. The symptoms may depend on the part of the brain involved. If brainstem is herniation is present, it may lead to decreased respiratory drive and is potentially life threatening.

Hope it helps. Take care