Neurology Expert Forum
What is a parenchymal cyst, and should I be concerned.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

If one of the docs could explain what benign parenchymal cysts are for me, I would appreciate it.  I was diagnosed w/ a possible arachnoid cyst, and then prominent perivascular spaces  in the anterior perforated septum billaterally.   The latest stating that the two spots that were the parenchymal cysts were noted as unchanged. I've had 3 MRI's in the past year and a half.  All 3 are here in order and talk about the same area.

1. Possible Arachnoid cysts. 6/04
2. Prominent Perivascular spaces 10/04
3. Below. 8/05

Here is the whole report.

Again noted are benign parenchymal cysts or focally dilated perivascular spaces in the anterior perforated septum billaterally, unchanged. Then ventricular systm is normal size. No masses, extrevenous flow voids.   Impression: Benign Peren. cysts in the anterior perforated septum bilaterally, greater on the left, unchanged since 10/25/04.  

This sizes were 12mm & 6mm.         I know you have to see the charts for a diagnosis, but I just want to know what this is telling me, and should I be concerned.  I don't know what a parenchymal cyst is.   Me neuro doc said he wants to follow up in two years, but we agreed on another MRI in 12 months.      Thanks for the help.

JH
My advice is limited by not seeing the actual scans, but in general a cyst is a hollow cavity filled with fluid, in the case of the brain, filled with cerebrospinal fluid. Parenchymal means that it is within thesubstance of the brain. Cysts appear as black areas on MRI (as cerebrospinal fluid appear black)

On the MRI it may be difficult to tell for sure if a small black area is parenchymal or perivascular (not actually in the brain, but related to a blood vessel going throuth the brain). BOth are likely within normal limits and part of normal anatomical variation. Looking at the cyst under the microspope one might be able to tell the difference but that is not going to happen. "Being part of normal anatomy, they are likely not going to change over time.

Good luck